Simon's LNER Blog - ECML/West Riding 1946-49

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

James Harrison
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Re: Simon's Locomotive Works - ECML/West Riding 1948-51

Post by James Harrison »

That is simply outstanding. I think that the black livery shows the lines of the loco very well.
auldreekie
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by auldreekie »

Yursst. I wasn't half taken with that C2 (or is it a C1 - green bible is at another location currently...).

Somewhere down the very extensive pipeline of potential future projects, I have in mind that, when I shall/may have given my old Gem NB Atlantic some little friends, one of the many interesting things I might do is to confect a family of NE Atlantics additional to the Z class, in the belief that some of the others might have found their way to Waverley and to Haymarket depot.

Does anyone have any wisdom and/or experience to share which might be relevant?

auldreekie
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Thanks chaps, much appreciated.

James, I think you built a Dean Sidings L1? What was it like as a kit?
James Harrison
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by James Harrison »

S.A.C. Martin wrote:Thanks chaps, much appreciated.

James, I think you built a Dean Sidings L1? What was it like as a kit?
I did indeed and I have to say it was an absolute joy to build. The parts were largely clean and well-cast (I think the only one I had an issue with was the Robinson safety valve cover, which was poor but salvagable). The main resin casting (at least, the one in my kit) was pretty good and neat; no sign of any twisting or distortion. The only downside is the coal bunker; it has these horrible, gosh-awful moulded resin coal rails that in my opinion spoil the look of the model. On my engine I actually cut them clean off and replaced them with some scratchbuilt homebrew examples out of plastic strip.

The kit overall gets a big thumbs-up from me; I'd certainly buy and build another with no qualms.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Ta James, that puts my mind at ease somewhat. Now to get in contact with the chap. I would like to have a pair of L1s to run a service each on my future layout in two similar changeover liveries. Gives me some more kits to build over the next year whilst I sell off some of my RTRs.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

At least there are two people posting on here today! Rob Bergin (see "Rob" from Cork), now a rare contributor, showed how he built a Dean Sidings ex GC L1/L3 on here 4 or 5 years ago. He noted that the body casting had an awkward kink in the running plate under one of the side tanks, making it virtually impossible to eliminate the kink. A mate of mine has an unbuilt example of the kit with the same affliction and I've seen others just the same. That said, from what I've seen the L1 is one of Dave Slater's more neatly cast and more convincing looking bodies, albeit with relatively chunky boiler bands by modern elevated standards.
If you build one, remember that the long half in the 2-6-4T coupled wheelbase is in this case the FRONT not the back section. I mentioned this to DS in connection with his suggestion to use the Jinty chassis, asking "why don't you at least suggest that people put it in back to front?"
Apparently he hadn't thought of that.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all
The L1 is the only Dean Sidings kit that I have built. I liked the supply of alternate boiler mountings as GCR accessories are always useful. The only bad points are the coal rails on the bunker and the front sandbox which seems (to me) too far under the footplate. I fitted it with a reversed Comet J39 chassis, with a Mashima 1620 and High Level 60:1 gearbox. However, that results in the firebox showing in the front chassis cut-out and the brake gear being at the rear of the wheels.
I'll have a look to see if I took any pics of it, but it was one of my first build when I got back into modelling, and before I discovered this forum.
Earlswood Nob
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all again
Just found Rob's L1 on the other side, together with a pic of Atlantics McGowan B4, which is another kit of mine that is still in a box sitting in a cupboard. Also, there is Morgan Gilbert's production of a LDECR's M1 which is an interesting loco.
Ah well, back to that damned Bulleid Leader, I wish I hadn't decided to improve the bogie drive system.
C'est la vie
Earlswood Nob
James Harrison
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by James Harrison »

Interesting you should mention the M1 conversion from the Taff Vale tank. I've got one myself (which, incidentally, looks a much coarser kit than the L1) with an idea for turning it into a Metropolitan 0-6-4/ M2.

The great thing about these resin kits is that the material is so amenable to being worked with that with a suitable donor model there's really no limit to what you can do with them.
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by 45609 »

Thanks for the M1 mention EN. Here is a link back to the original thread with some photos of the conversion

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=855

Cheers....Morgan
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

mlgilbert30 wrote:Thanks for the M1 mention EN. Here is a link back to the original thread with some photos of the conversion

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=855

Cheers....Morgan
Really nice conversion that. Going to enjoy re-reading that on the train to work tomorrow, bookmarked it.

On a side note, is anyone else finding it nigh on impossible to find a Hornby Railroad D49? I bought mine from Hattons over a year ago and I'm amazed to find its pretty much sold out everywhere. There's a few eBay sellers offering them in and around the 65-75 mark at the minute.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Just to say thanks to the two kind souls who PM'd me with links to D49s for sale. I've been waiting for a few of these to come up cheap for some future projects. The D49s are out of my West Riding area technically (all the shires are anyway, being NE or Scottish based) but that's not going to stop me from having a few to run as they are cracking looking machines.

I've found this photograph which seems very model-able, but it states "King's Cross to Ripon" service in the caption which has flummoxed me as I wasn't aware any D49s ventured that far down south that late in the day of steam?
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

S.A.C. Martin wrote:Just to say thanks to the two kind souls who PM'd me with links to D49s for sale. I've been waiting for a few of these to come up cheap for some future projects. The D49s are out of my West Riding area technically (all the shires are anyway, being NE or Scottish based) but that's not going to stop me from having a few to run as they are cracking looking machines.

I've found this photograph which seems very model-able, but it states "King's Cross to Ripon" service in the caption which has flummoxed me as I wasn't aware any D49s ventured that far down south that late in the day of steam?
Hi Simon

My guess is that it is hauling a portion of a Kings' Cross Ripon train...I'm 99% sure she will have only come on at Harrogate being a Starbeck loco. Ironically the location of Wormald Green, I pass every day on my way into work. It's about 3 miles south of Ripon.
Tom Foster
Modelling the North Eastern Area of the LNER - 1935-1939
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Tom F wrote:
S.A.C. Martin wrote:Just to say thanks to the two kind souls who PM'd me with links to D49s for sale. I've been waiting for a few of these to come up cheap for some future projects. The D49s are out of my West Riding area technically (all the shires are anyway, being NE or Scottish based) but that's not going to stop me from having a few to run as they are cracking looking machines.

Hi Simon

My guess is that it is hauling a portion of a Kings' Cross Ripon train...I'm 99% sure she will have only come on at Harrogate being a Starbeck loco. Ironically the location of Wormald Green, I pass every day on my way into work. It's about 3 miles south of Ripon.
Thanks Tom for the confirmation, I did think it would be a bit far with just the two coaches! :lol: So will those two coaches be attached to the KX-Ripon service, or have they come off said service then?

In any event, a very nice short (and prototypical!) formation that would fit onto a layout.
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

S.A.C. Martin wrote:
Tom F wrote:

Hi Simon

Thanks Tom for the confirmation, I did think it would be a bit far with just the two coaches! :lol: So will those two coaches be attached to the KX-Ripon service, or have they come off said service then?

In any event, a very nice short (and prototypical!) formation that would fit onto a layout.
At a guess...I would say that is the Kings Cross-Ripon train... the whole train would have worked to Leeds (or Harrogate) then this two coach portion would have worked north to Ripon. Going off the fact it's only 3 miles south of Ripon, that seems most likely. :)
Tom Foster
Modelling the North Eastern Area of the LNER - 1935-1939