2750 (Tom's) Workbench-North Eastern Modelling 1938

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: 50A York 'LEAMAN ROAD' MPD

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Very effective Tom. Good to have an update on the proper forum too.

Have a good Christmas yourself.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Atlantic 3279 wrote:Very effective Tom. Good to have an update on the proper forum too.

Have a good Christmas yourself.
Thanks Graeme. Hope you have a relaxing and enjoyable time. Maybe see you at the Doncaster Show?

Best Wishes
Tom Foster
Modelling the North Eastern Area of the LNER - 1935-1939
M Gair
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by M Gair »

Excellent work Tom.

Have a great Christmas and New Year, keep up the good work.

I am sitting here watching forums and making a single line viaduct. But now to sleep.
Mark in OZ
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

M Gair wrote:Excellent work Tom.

Have a great Christmas and New Year, keep up the good work.

I am sitting here watching forums and making a single line viaduct. But now to sleep.
Mark in OZ
Cheers Mark!

Thanks to jwealleans, I now have the information I need to do my all 3rd......a little more filthy methinks!

Cheers
Tom Foster
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Evening all. I hope you all had a lovely Christmas and are enjoying some respite before New Year.

There was a couple of railway related items under the tree this year, in particular 3 post war teak corridor 'thirds' courtesy of ebay. They had been separated from the '1948 Olympic' train pack set, obviously the guy had bought a few sets. I also got the David Jenkinson book '20th Century British Railway Carriages' which is proving very interesting reading.
Speaking of coaches, I decided to tackle another Gresley Non Corridor yesterday, this one being an all 'Third'. Thanks to Jonathan once again for providing me with a selection of numbers that were in the North East in 1950. I have also numbered this as a LNER branded example, so maybe she was overhauled in late 1947....not impossible.

As it would be 3 years since it's last time in works, I wanted to depict the coach a little more worn and dirty around the edges.

I'm not sure it's that clear in the photo below, but something new I tried to was after weathering the underframe and buffers, I used a brush slightly wet with white spirit in the centre of the buffers to show an example buffers touching and generl wear.

You all know me by now, I can't help but stick a loco in at least one photograph....especially if it's a North Eastern 4-6-0.

Tom Foster
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Wow Tom, those Gresleys look fantastic! I think I might have a go at doing some of my Dapols like that - although not as heavily as I'm modelling the 1930's.

I think those coaches more than make up for your moment of weakness posting a picture of a B16! :roll: 8) :lol:
Steve
2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by 2002EarlMarischal »

The scenes from Leaman Road are truly inspirational. 8)

I hope 2012 will be the year I create my portable desk-top engine shed diorama. This will fill a worktop to wall cupboard gap 1200mm x 365mm x 467mm - a simple affair using Bachmann's 4 road shed as the basis. If I can even approach your levels of realism I will be delighted.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Can't help but say it, beautiful weathering on those coaches :shock:

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Thanks gents.

I'm very pleased with how these teaks are coming along. Next one will be a corridor 3rd! :)
Tom Foster
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Is your B16 fleet at full strength now or is one still in the finishing and weathering department? If you were feeling a bit daring you could show us comparitive detailed shots of all three and leave us to guess who built which one, from what, and what the costs were - or ought to have been :wink: .
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

Those teaks look excellent! 5 STARS for you, Tom!
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
easternstreak
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by easternstreak »

Your weathering has come a long way Tom, I still remember the video on Youtube which taught us how to weather with powders. :wink:
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

easternstreak wrote:Your weathering has come a long way Tom, I still remember the video on Youtube which taught us how to weather with powders. :wink:
Thank you :)
Although the less I think about that YouTube tutorial...the better! ;)
Tom Foster
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Atlantic 3279 wrote:Is your B16 fleet at full strength now or is one still in the finishing and weathering department? If you were feeling a bit daring you could show us comparitive detailed shots of all three and leave us to guess who built which one, from what, and what the costs were - or ought to have been :wink: .
That sounds like a good idea Graeme. I will hopefully be getting back the latest B16 in a month or so. When I get it back I'll do that. I think there maybe some surprises ;)
Tom Foster
2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by 2002EarlMarischal »

Tom, I would be most grateful if you could take a few moments to explain the process and materials used to achieve the excellent weathered ballast look around your track especially in the shed area please?