Micks 4mm LNER Models

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: LNER Models

Post by mick b »

Atlantic 3279 wrote:How's the livery coming along Mick?
Hoepefully will be finished in next couple of days. I am pleased to say that front bogie clears steps and cylinders by miles.

Woodcock ran in Grey livery with white lining and green wheels
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Finished :!: :!: :!: :!:
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

7.jpg
2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by 2002EarlMarischal »

Truly stunning - lovely job! Wow!
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

That is one good looking locomotive. Fabulous modelling job, mick b. - very skilful.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

As I said on Rmweb - AWESOME. Well done Mick - I think I need to get my brain, money and tools in gear to make my own now, no excuses.

Dare I say that it looks better than any kit built A2/2?
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Thanks for the replies much appreciatted.

I agree re better than the kits.

The DJH will only do the BR version which only leaves PDK

have a look here

http://www.pdkmodels.co.uk/Pic%2096.jpg

Note enormous Banjo Dome, crude Valve Gear and Motor/Gearbox on view

I know which I prefer and she goes around much smaller curves then my PDK A1/1 and she has a much better Cab area thanks to Hornbys contribution too

Lastly thanks to Graeme who without his skill and imagination this would never have been built.
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Very much in agreement on what fine model you have created, lovely livery application too I might add!

I have word my Herringbone is in a it's final stages, apple green too. I do think apple green suited the Thompson Pacifics ;)

Great work again Mick! :)
Tom Foster
Modelling the North Eastern Area of the LNER - 1935-1939
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Hello Mick

Sorry not to comment sooner - I've not had a chance to look in since early on saturday morning. I'm pleased to see that you've got there, and it is of course your usual beautifully tidy result! I see you've even got rivets showing around the front of the smokebox.

Well done indeed! It looks good even to an anti-Thompson man such as me.

Now I don't want to get Simon and others "all excited" as I certainly haven't checked all of the obstacles and implications yet, and I'm not necessarily offering to have a go at one, but I have started to develop some thoughts on the possibility of a cost-effective, and not-too-laborious way of using those resin parts, plus readily available main-manufacturers' spares, and techniques that Mick and I have now proven, to produce what I previously regarded as the prohibitively complex and costly A2/1 option (and the early incarnations of the A2/2 by a slightly different approach to Mick's). Either of these would definitely have to include a full repaint..........

If I reach the point of believing that it is viable, I'll explain the thinking, and then perhaps somebody will have a go.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Atlantic 3279 wrote:Now I don't want to get Simon and others "all excited" as I certainly haven't checked all of the obstacles and implications yet, and I'm not necessarily offering to have a go at one, but I have started to develop some thoughts on the possibility of a cost-effective, and not-too-laborious way of using those resin parts, plus readily available main-manufacturers' spares, and techniques that Mick and I have now proven, to produce what I previously regarded as the prohibitively complex and costly A2/1 option (and the early incarnations of the A2/2 by a slightly different approach to Mick's). Either of these would definitely have to include a full repaint..........

If I reach the point of believing that it is viable, I'll explain the thinking, and then perhaps somebody will have a go.
I'd be very interested in both classes, but will await the full results of your thoughts (many thanks for your continued efforts to the cause).

Certainly, if the upcoming V2 valve gear from the new Bachmann engine becomes available for spare parts, it'll make the jobs of many of us in the valve gear department easier...!!! :lol:

Back to your A2/2 Mick, and looking at your photographs build update to build update, would just like to say thank you for keeping us in the loop and showing us how you did it.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Your welcome Simon

A2/1 !! well I have a Nu Cast version but I am sure if it turns out anything like the Wolf I will be interested :shock:
jukebox
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by jukebox »

I'd have to agree with Graeme, Mick - whilst I'm not a fan of the prototype, that takes not an iota away from your modelling effort. A very fine result, that you should be justifiably proud of. And a great instructional thread, to boot.
If a Thompson rebuild is the answer... the question must have been daft to begin with!
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I have word my Herringbone is in a it's final stages
I believe I had it in my hands on Saturday and pretty good it looks too.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

A Thompson line up now I finally have the complete set
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »