2750 (Tom's) Workbench-North Eastern Modelling 1938

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: LEAMAN ROAD 50A. Tom's Layout and Work Bench

Post by giner »

Superb models - as per the norm around this forum. So, just to flesh out the details here, just what was Stan Laurel's connection to Sask? The joke around here was, 'will the last one out of Saskatchewan please turn out the lights.' Can't be said of it these days, though, it's quite the booming place.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I realised of course, after posting the Stan Laurel reference, that the answer to almost any puzzle can be found on the internet these days, but to save you searching.....

In "Me and My Pal" (the one about Ollie's wedding and the dreaded jigsaw puzzle) Stan was supposed to buy Ollie's honeymoon train tickets to Sas......., but such were his efforts to pronounce it that the booking clerk said there was no such place and sold him tickets to Chicago :)
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Thanks for clearing that one up Graeme! ;)
Not seen much Laurel and Hardy....I am partial to a touch of Norman Wisdom mind! :P

Anyhow, now my camera is taking not bad photo, thought I'd post a few this evening.

Poor 60526. 'Sugar Palm' was always in the shadow of York's A1s by all accounts. As the only Peppercorn A2 at York, I had to have her! Never particular clean, and thats how I wanted to depict her, using a photo I have of her at York in 1950 to weather her. Quite pleased with the results.

Here Gateshead's 60045 'Lemberg' is seen preparing to move off Shed with a return working to Newcastle.

What's this behind the L1....SOUTHERN STOCK?!?!?! At York!??? Indeed ;) Would have worked in with the Bournemouth-York train which came via the GC and from photos, seemed to be a V2 or B16 on it! :)
Tom Foster
Modelling the North Eastern Area of the LNER - 1935-1939
2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by 2002EarlMarischal »

Very nice Tom! :)
All thumbs
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by All thumbs »

Tom F wrote:Thanks for clearing that one up Graeme! ;)
Not seen much Laurel and Hardy....I am partial to a touch of Norman Wisdom mind! :P

[snip]

And who better to be taking a turn as SP's fireman, leaning out of the window and wondering about that clunk-clunk sound coming up from the Cartazzi? :wink:

Lovely photos - couldn't persuade you to bin the Peco in favour of some SMP or Exactoscale while it is still to be ballasted?
Be gentle! Returning to the hobby after more than 20 years away...
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

All thumbs wrote:
Tom F wrote:Thanks for clearing that one up Graeme! ;)

[snip]

And who better to be taking a turn as SP's fireman, leaning out of the window and wondering about that clunk-clunk sound coming up from the Cartazzi? :wink:

Lovely photos - couldn't persuade you to bin the Peco in favour of some SMP or Exactoscale while it is still to be ballasted?
I'm quite chuffed with that Fireman.

Not a chance on the track work. It was kindly donated by Gilbert of Peterborough North from his old layout and the point work bought for £3 per point...not bad for large radius. Saved me a considerable amount of money!

Seen as it's going to be coated with shed ash and general cack, then the Peco track isn't going to be too noticeable.

Secondly Tim79 wont be too happy at replacing it.....he wired all the point motors in last week! :lol:

Next layout (possible exhibition branch layout) will be hand built track for sure! :)
Tom Foster
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Loco sheds coming on nicely, I can understand why BR didn't keep there loco's in express blue :shock:

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

Atlantic 3279 wrote:I realised of course, after posting the Stan Laurel reference, that the answer to almost any puzzle can be found on the internet these days, but to save you searching.....

In "Me and My Pal" (the one about Ollie's wedding and the dreaded jigsaw puzzle) Stan was supposed to buy Ollie's honeymoon train tickets to Sas......., but such were his efforts to pronounce it that the booking clerk said there was no such place and sold him tickets to Chicago :)
Thanks for the legwork, Atlantic. Yes, could've done it myself, but sometimes we get caught up in the moment. Now, back to the programme already in progress.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

How are you doing the ballast?

RE Lemberg would it have been that bad :shock: as recently painted in the period you are modeling. Not a fan of the colour either which probably doesnt help :D
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

mick b wrote:How are you doing the ballast?

RE Lemberg would it have been that bad :shock: as recently painted in the period you are modeling. Not a fan of the colour either which probably doesnt help :D
Lemberg went blue in August 1949 and her next general was over a year later. I've seen a photo of Ronald Matthews a fellow Gateshead loco shown 3 months out of works absolutely filthy!

On that basis I'm sure by September 1950 Lemberg would be looking rather worse for wear....this is Gateshead after all!

As for livery....each to their own...but it's an era rarely modelled....which suites me! :P
Tom Foster
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

I love 'em. Nothing wrong with a bit of grime, makes 'em look like the workhorses they were. Wouldn't it be fun if a contest for weathering could be instituted with awards called "The Gatesheads". There's no doubt your locos would be high in the running for such an award, Tom, and I think it would inspire many modellers to really get into the art of realistic weathering.
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

giner wrote:I love 'em. Nothing wrong with a bit of grime, makes 'em look like the workhorses they were. Wouldn't it be fun if a contest for weathering could be instituted with awards called "The Gatesheads". There's no doubt your locos would be high in the running for such an award, Tom, and I think it would inspire many modellers to really get into the art of realistic weathering.
Thanks giner.

I will be honest, it isn't all my work, Tim79 has weathered a few locos seen on the layout also, In recent photos though, Sugar Palm, Silurian and Sanskatchwen are my work :)

I can't recommend enough Tim Shackleton's Aspects of Modelling 'Weathering' book, and the Right Track DVD with Tim Shackleton. It's been my main source of inspiration and in my opinion gets the best effects!

'The Gatesheads'....you might be on to something there giner! ;)
Tom Foster
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Tom F wrote:Sanskatchwen
Hi Tom. Are you sharing Stan's trouble with Skwes...Sh...Swush :?:

Forgive my humour.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Ladas
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by Ladas »

Ayup Tom F,

Been an admirer (and subscriber to your YouTube channel) for about a year now... Fantastic videos and pics, must say that I'm very impressed with the new layout. It's become an inspiration to 'kickstart' mine again... '00' LNER layout based on Grantham 1935-1939.

Keep up the good work!

Regards,

Marcus.
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Ladas wrote:Ayup Tom F,

Been an admirer (and subscriber to your YouTube channel) for about a year now... Fantastic videos and pics, must say that I'm very impressed with the new layout. It's become an inspiration to 'kickstart' mine again... '00' LNER layout based on Grantham 1935-1939.

Keep up the good work!

Regards,

Marcus.
Cheers Marcus

Glad your enjoying the development of the layout :) The youtube series will return when the layout is finished, although narration style will most likely go. More a case of watching the locos moving on and off shed etc.

Cheers

Tom
Tom Foster