Hot off the printer

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Bill Bedford
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: Hot off the printer

Post by Bill Bedford »

coachmann wrote:That coach underframe looks darned interesting Bill. One thought though, I'd prefer it without footsteps (to make it universal) and fit my etched ones. A Thompson corridor coach underframe would be useful as would cosmetic ends!
The material these underframes are made from is not really conducive to the sort of butt joints needed for fixing vulnerable add on pieces, on the other hand it is a mater of a few minutes work to produce a drawing for a new arrangement of footboards.

So far I have these underframes drawn and they will be available in the next few weeks.

LNER welded 60' TPO
LNER welded 60' end footboards for vestibuled coaches
LNER Thompson 52'4" continuous footboards
LNER Thompson 52'4" TPO
MR 50' Clerestory (needs some mods)

There are immediate 'todo' list
GER 54'
LSBCR 50'
SR standard steam stock
IAK
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by IAK »

Bill Bedford wrote:
Hucknall Central wrote:Bill,
Sometime ago, on another thread, you mentioned the possibility of producing cosmetic sides for your 10' 6" bogie, to suit Great Central pattern. :) :)
On behalf of other interested parties, any news?
Paul.
There is still a lot of work to do before I get to new bogie side frames, in the mean time, Ithink, white metal castings are available from 247 Developments. I'll check when I see Garry this week end.
I think He may still be redoing them Bill?
At least he was when I last contacted him - mind, it would be nice if they were out again 8)
Small additional increments are transformative.

http://padgateworks.wordpress.com/
coachmann
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by coachmann »

Thanks for the list Bill. Predictably I could do with one not listed. Do you have a price for the underframes yet?

Another worthwhile item would be a Gresley 60' domed roof and cosmetic bowed ends minus bufferbeams. In otherwords, to save a lot of messing about using Hornby coaches as donors.

Larry
Bill Bedford
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Bill Bedford »

coachmann wrote:Thanks for the list Bill. Predictably I could do with one not listed. Do you have a price for the underframes yet?
Which undeframe are you thinking of? If it's one I've already drawn for etching I can do it easily enough. Prices are £18-20 and I intend, over the next couple of weeks to set the website up so that you can order then direct from the manufacturers.
Another worthwhile item would be a Gresley 60' domed roof and cosmetic bowed ends minus bufferbeams. In otherwords, to save a lot of messing about using Hornby coaches as donors.
This would be using the MJT/Dart aluminium roof ? I'll have a go and see how good a match I can get.
coachmann

Post by coachmann »

This would be using the MJT/Dart aluminium roof ? I'll have a go and see how good a match I can get.
Hi Bill, Would this be for the whole roof moulded in one piece? Or the domed ends suitable shaped to glue onto the ends of the aluminioum MJT roof?

I think the latter would be a good move providing the MJT roof could overlap the ends somewhat to provide an adequate surface for adhesive. Certainly a resin dome would not clog up files (as whitemetal does) when making a good invisible joint between the two materials.
WEB resin dome.jpg
MikeTrice
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by MikeTrice »

Be careful. The roof section varies in width slightly during the extrusion process and you may find a good match difficult. I personally would have thought a complete roof to different lengths would have been better if possible.
coachmann

Post by coachmann »

Be careful. The roof section varies in width slightly during the extrusion process and you may find a good match difficult. I personally would have thought a complete roof to different lengths would have been better if possible.
Have to admit this is my preference but I probably mistenly took it that Bill would be doing the end domes.

I can see this process revolutionising etched kits in due course, and like digital imaging, will come down in price too. One particularly difficult coach type to do at the moment is the LNWR WCJS with its centre raised beading and rounded body corners.
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by 60526 »

I managed to get along to Scaleforum at Leatherhead today and had a chat with BillB. Having seen the brakevan that started this thread, it's incredible how you can produce such a model with integral handrails etc, it may be uneconomical for a kit but it appeared to be an exceptional model. He also had a Gresley 63' underframe made by the same process. It is a sintered process, the finish is not the same as say a plastic injection moulding, but I would have bought one there and then, all the detail in one mould. I also saw the other coach frame shown earlier in the thread, but what caught my eye was a roof frame for a clerestory coach. If you could buy 4mm roof canvas then you would probably lay it over this roof section and let it dry and stretch if you get my drift. Ok, perhaps thin plasticard would do since I'm a 4mm narrow gauge modeller. Bill said something interesting, this has partly come about through modellers buying just his brass sides or top works of his kits and the dislike for solding the underframes? Bill should explain this better than me. I do tend to try and work to a budget with my modelling and I might be an example of what Bill described. I've got one of his Gresley twins and I only bought the body kit, I'm in the process of sctratching the base and underframe, but something is telling me that perhaps I should have bought the underframe kit. One day I am going to buy a Barnum, but the cost keeps comes back to me.
Bill, can you explain what the pre-grouping loco and tender on your stand was. I'm not sure if this was produced by the same process as the van?
Funny exhibition Scaleforum this year, I was more endeared to the trade than the layouts. Good to see a couple of layouts from North of the Border, but somehow Clutton the GW P4 layout won the most entertaining layout award, perhaps by running a Pannier as Duck with the face gave them some more points.
Bill Bedford
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Bill Bedford »

60526 wrote:I managed to get along to Scaleforum at Leatherhead today and had a chat with BillB. Having seen the brakevan that started this thread, it's incredible how you can produce such a model with integral handrails etc, it may be uneconomical for a kit but it appeared to be an exceptional model. He also had a Gresley 63' underframe made by the same process. It is a sintered process, the finish is not the same as say a plastic injection moulding, but I would have bought one there and then, all the detail in one mould.
They should be available, to order, from my website in 2-3 weeks
I also saw the other coach frame shown earlier in the thread, but what caught my eye was a roof frame for a clerestory coach. If you could buy 4mm roof canvas then you would probably lay it over this roof section and let it dry and stretch if you get my drift. Ok, perhaps thin plasticard would do since I'm a 4mm narrow gauge modeller.
I've used ordinary 160 gsm card, which works well. The frame material will stand boiling water so it should be posible to use them as a former for thin plasticard.
Bill said something interesting, this has partly come about through modellers buying just his brass sides or top works of his kits and the dislike for solding the underframes? Bill should explain this better than me. I do tend to try and work to a budget with my modelling and I might be an example of what Bill described. I've got one of his Gresley twins and I only bought the body kit, I'm in the process of sctratching the base and underframe, but something is telling me that perhaps I should have bought the underframe kit. One day I am going to buy a Barnum, but the cost keeps comes back to me.
It's the way economics works. Ready to Run manufacturers are only able to produce a relatively small number of models and know that they can get a return on their investment. If modellers want something different, then these models are always going to be more expensive, either in terms of initial cost or the amount of time has to spent building the models. After a long time in the business I firmly believe that the majority of modellers would rather have a smaller number of working models than a cupboard full of unbuilt kits. So what I am trying to do is to change that relationship by producing much simpler kits or even R-T-R models at a price that maybe more than what modeller have been used to but reflects the ease of construction.
Bill, can you explain what the pre-grouping loco and tender on your stand was. I'm not sure if this was produced by the same process as the van?
It is a Somerset & Dorset Scottie, and yes it is a 3D print done of the same type of machine as the brake van.
Funny exhibition Scaleforum this year, I was more endeared to the trade than the layouts. Good to see a couple of layouts from North of the Border, but somehow Clutton the GW P4 layout won the most entertaining layout award, perhaps by running a Pannier as Duck with the face gave them some more points.
The Bristol Mafia get everywhere...........