2750 (Tom's) Workbench-North Eastern Modelling 1938

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: TomTank's Layout and Work Bench

Post by Tom F »

I have made a video of Humorist as I'm most pleased with how work on her has gone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pipTfQYTyMI

would very much like to know what you guys think.

I'm young and im learning my way in the model railway world. But would still like to know your thoughts etc :?
Tom Foster
Modelling the North Eastern Area of the LNER - 1935-1939
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I find that numbers can be removed without any harm to the paint beneath (and without causing any polishing effect on that paint if it happens to be satin or nearly matt), but not by use of any solvent, abrasive polish or the dreaded glass fibre burnishing stick. These all share the fault that they attack or remove the surrounding paint as much or almost as much as they do the numbers. I simply use the largest size of "jeweller's screwdriver" with its blade freshly re-honed to a sharp square edge (done on an oilstone or on a flat piece of wet 1200 grit paper). This blade can be very carefully and quite gently scraped (pull it like a scraper, don't push it like a chisel) over the subtly raised paint of the numbers, shaving these off bit by bit, without touching the background colour until you are "nearly there" with the number removal. If you observe what is going on with each pass of the blade and concentrate on the evidently still raised areas it works a treat. Sometimes just a final, very careful, light "final finish" with the glass fibre pencil aids the result. Ian Rathbone would not entertain my suggestion of this method, but I've done it several times and it works. If you have a look back at the start of my "Gresley P1 freight loco" thread on "that other modelling forum of which I no longer speak" you'll find an example of Flying Fox renumbered as Royal Lancer by said method.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Atlantic 3279 wrote:I find that numbers can be removed without any harm to the paint beneath (and without causing any polishing effect on that paint if it happens to be satin or nearly matt), but not by use of any solvent, abrasive polish or the dreaded glass fibre burnishing stick. These all share the fault that they attack or remove the surrounding paint as much or almost as much as they do the numbers. I simply use the largest size of "jeweller's screwdriver" with its blade freshly re-honed to a sharp square edge (done on an oilstone or on a flat piece of wet 1200 grit paper). This blade can be very carefully and quite gently scraped (pull it like a scraper, don't push it like a chisel) over the subtly raised paint of the numbers, shaving these off bit by bit, without touching the background colour until you are "nearly there" with the number removal. If you observe what is going on with each pass of the blade and concentrate on the evidently still raised areas it works a treat. Sometimes just a final, very careful, light "final finish" with the glass fibre pencil aids the result. Ian Rathbone would not entertain my suggestion of this method, but I've done it several times and it works. If you have a look back at the start of my "Gresley P1 freight loco" thread on "that other modelling forum of which I no longer speak" you'll find an example of Flying Fox renumbered as Royal Lancer by said method.
thanks Atlantic 3279, thats really helpful advice, I'll remember that :)

well, time to move on :)

i have just ordered two locos, found them on ebay, not too bad a price.

Another V2, the pioneer of the class, and out only surviver 60800 'Green Arrow'
nicely weathered and will be nice to have a single chimney V2 working on the layout :)

The seller also had this, a D49, (a hunt) the old Hornby model, but once again very nicely weathered and seen as one is not available ready to run, I went for it :)
Good to have a 4-4-0 on the layout, and most likely she will take over running of the local to East Allerton :)
Tom Foster
rob
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by rob »

Hi Tom,
Thanks for the kind comment re the Q10 on my thread-may I return one,great layout here!Its a good time to get into this period with the 04,A2 and possibly more in the pipeline.The lighting is particularly effective and you've reminded me to "plumb" for lighting as I gradually get on with things!
Cheers,
Rob
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

rob wrote:Hi Tom,
Thanks for the kind comment re the Q10 on my thread-may I return one,great layout here!Its a good time to get into this period with the 04,A2 and possibly more in the pipeline.The lighting is particularly effective and you've reminded me to "plumb" for lighting as I gradually get on with things!
Cheers,
Rob
cheers Rob

Can't wait for the A2 and O4

I will be getting Bachelours Button and renumbering to AH Peppercorn

and

Blue Peter to renumber to Velocity

Anyhow, time to let you know what the next project is.

A basic renumbering

A3 60039 Sandwich, a rather unfortunate name for such a powerful loco

is to become

60086 'Gainsborough'

not one of the most well know A3s, she never recieved the smoke deflectors, and also, my 60039 has an A4 boiler and after some help on RMweb, I know that 60086 was fitted with an A4 boiler for a time.

My only problem is that I have ordered the Neville Hill shed code plate, but it seems from 1960 onwards instead of 50A, it became 50H, unfortunately it's the 50A headcode im getting, oh well, only a small detail.

Anyhow, it will make a slight difference to one of my locos.

Also instead of using Fox Transfers for the decals and name plates, I have gone with Jackson Evans, They use cabside numbers with a green background, meaning I don't have to remove previous numbers, which as you know had it's problems.

With some varnish added, it should blend in nicely :)
Tom Foster
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Hi guys

Well when I came back today there was a parcel for me.....one V2 and D49.

The only error with the D49 is she is a Hunt rather than a shire, and all Hunts had lentz poppet valve gear, where as The Shires had Walschaerts valve gear, which is what the Hornby loco has :-/

Great looking locos though, so here is some photos :)

Humorist prepares to leave Eastcote Central with a train to Edinburgh, where her home shed is.

V2 60800 'Green Arrow' speeds towards East Allerton with an Express Freight (Fish) from Aberdeen for King's Cross

The D49 waits patiently for the guard to blow his whistle, and she will head North for the local

Hope you enjoy these pics, tomorrow work will begin on Gainsborough. :D
Tom Foster
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Well the parts for my 'Gainsborough' Conversion didn't arrive today :(

so, here are some photos taken. They do have a purpose actually, but i'm not revealing what that purpose is yet ;)

you may notice some new ballast down around Eastcote Central

Gresley Pacifics on Shed

A collection of mixed traffic locos, two Gresley's and one Thompson

Peppercorn Pacifics passing each other on the ECML

and my two V2s :) on shed....Herbert and Green Arrow ;)
Tom Foster
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Well, I found out today that the decals for 60086 wont be here until Saturday or Monday.

So this evening I decided to sort out the weathering on Humorist. I had done a little on her with my weathering powders, but not much, so brought her into the house and gave her a better grime covering.

And here the pictures, what do you think?

and the final shot

Also.... I have another A3 on the way :o I shouldn't have got it really as I couldn't really afford it, but it was quite cheap, and will be a nice addition to the layout. It's 60067 'LADAS' I may re number her, but I quite like the name.

Two reasons why I went for her, she has the Thompson type boiler fitted to her, notice the round domem rather than banjo type. And secondly she is a single chimney A3 which I don't have.

When she arrives I will line her up with my other A3s to show the evoultion of the locomotive from single chimney, to Kylchap to deflectors :)
Tom Foster
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Done some more weathering on her.

What I do is weather with powders, then spray with matt varnish, then weather again with powders, the effect seems to give it a general covering, before hand it seems to be patchy.

Added some limescale too. I'm very pleased with the results :)

he general view of her now, som leakage from supeheater

some lime scale leakage

tender now more covered rather than patchy

now compare to this from earlier in the week and I think you can see the difference
Tom Foster
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

So this morning my latest A3 arrived! 60067 'LADAS'
So I have been weathering her this morning, when I noticed her smoke box door handle/locking ring was missing :o

Searched and searched but found nothing.

But RMweb's CUTLER2579 has come to the rescue and is sending me 60067 spare smoke box door :)

So here is the pictures of her weathered, I'm liking my format of weathering now :)

Tom Foster
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Tom found this in my collection no details with it.

52D
A3 2751 Humorist.JPG
A3 2751 Humorist.JPG (20.35 KiB) Viewed 6782 times
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Deltic18
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by Deltic18 »

Very nice work. It's good to see a properly done layout with all the trimmings i.e. Ford Anglia in the car park etc. Keep it up.

Keith
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

52D wrote:Tom found this in my collection no details with it.

52D
A3 2751 Humorist.JPG

Thanks for that 52D, a picture which I believe is of Humorist sometime after 1938 and before 1947 which she had wiing tip deflectors.

Very nice :) although didn't do much for smoke deflection!

thanks Deltic18, currently working on ballasting around the station and mainlines heading to the tunnel.
Tom Foster
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Well, to make a change from the loco work, it's about time I showed some work on the layout.

Ballast has been the order of the day, especially around the shed lines and main line in and out of Eastcote Central

See what you think!

area of the main line to the tunnel, obviously there is plenty of scenic work to do in this area

K3 moves off shed

Shed line looking south

From the sheds looking towards the Station

and now I have a shelf to store all locos not in use, my yard lines had become so cramped with locos, and so many were getting in the way while I was trying to work
Tom Foster
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Ok, well this evening, I have been re weathering my Peppercorn A1s, and adding real coal to the tender.

Here are the tenders (newly weathered), notice they are on newspaper..... diluted glue is leaking through! :o :P
Tom Foster