West End Workbench

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: West End Workbench

Post by jwealleans »

How often did the heavier SCV's like the Flatrol ELL get out on a job - likely to be date dependent for a start - is there any readily accessible data? Whatever, they make such attractive models, and yet more so now weathered. The coiled loads, I have seen both 'styles' but wouldn't the 13T loading be exceeded in the case of the untidy ones?
Flatrols were all Specials, I think, so centrally controlled. If the records survive then we ought to be able to find out where they were on any given day. I built it because I just liked the look of it, but I've put together a few military/RAF themed wagons over the last year or so so it seemed to fit in with those, being returned to wherever they were held after transporting something. It seemed to gel generally with what I know of post war East Anglia. The pipe train, while again just something I initially fancied doing, fits nicely into a scheme of maintenance/expansion of the GPSS network, which I knew nothing about before I started researching.

The coil wagon I am still a bit agnostic on. I suspect I may end up remaking the coils with much thinner wire when some presents itself. I can't say I'm really conscious of how much each would weight but I take the point about overloading. There's also a practical point about securing them. They were loose in the wagon when I received them and I've put wire loops through both rows to hold them in place. Fewer coils might make whatever device is used to secure them more apparent.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

I've not had a chance to look yet but I'm sure that the LNER Central Wagon Control Office York Annual Report 1929
may well have this info as it does state in it's pages special wagon usage. I belive you have a copy Jonathan, if not let me know.
Example attached.
Attachments
110t well wagon.jpg
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

It would contain the information were it to exist for 1943 or later, when these wagons were built. This was the document I had in mind, though.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

I had not realised the wagon was a late build, but it is a good document.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Dave wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2024 3:42 pm I've not had a chance to look yet but I'm sure that the LNER Central Wagon Control Office York Annual Report 1929
may well have this info as it does state in it's pages special wagon usage. I belive you have a copy Jonathan, if not let me know.
Example attached.
Good start! Simply knowing the likely title is helpful for locating later reports.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Here's a blast from the past: I had my Hornby L1 (R3007) out of the box today for the first time in about a year to check and service before taking it down toWickham Market this weekend.

The pony truck has broken in what turned out to be several places and I believe has Mazak rot. One of the guard irons fell off as I was taking it out to examine it and there are other bits of Mazak floating about in the box. It also looks as though the rear bogie has the same problem - the wheels no longer turn and the paint has crazed all over the underside, suggesting the metal is cracking.

Since Thurston retired in 2016 the loco has only been out of the box perhaps twice, so it's not worn out. Has anyone else had the same problem?

My J15 has also developed the same squeal as Graeme's, so I'll be investigating that when I get back.
Last edited by jwealleans on Thu Sep 12, 2024 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Hmmm, so was the outsourced manufacturer's idea of rigorous compliance with specification a little "flexible"? i.e. Any alloy that looks a bit like Mazak will do, no matter what odds and ends have gone into the melting pot...

I do hope my three P2 chassis units don't start to bulge and crack. I'll be taking the matter up with Hornby very vigorously (and publicly if necessary) should trouble arise. I'm not very relaxed about paying for rubbish.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

There's a thread on RMWeb I have been directed to which is accumulating a list of affected models. R3007 appears on there but only the rear bogie is indicated as affected so i have added to that.

I also contacted Steve Pearce, who I knew had at least one of these - turns out he has 4 and the only one affected has been R3007. His has also had the front pony crack in two, but he's been able to jury rig it so it still runs. I'l be looking out replacement pony and bogie from Wizard and it'll be a little job for Christmas, I think.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

I have checked my three variations of the LNER l1 9001 version and all are ok.

Anyone know how to repair the sprung buffers on the L1 please ?.

One has fallen off the flimsy/thin bufferbeam on removing it from its box. A attempt attempt at gluing back the Buffer onto the bufferbeam has resulted in the Buffer seperating from its body. No obvious way of retaining the buffer at the moment inside the body, before any further attempt to glue it back onto bufferbeam..
Mersey508138
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by Mersey508138 »

Hi Everyone

I have a P2 chassis which I purchased from ebay back in 2016 or 2017 ( can't remember exactly when ) and despite a few mods to include walschaerts valve gear and an X4026 5 pole motor to replace the rubbish 3 pole with flywheel thing, my P2 has been running well and continues to do so.

To date, the only loco ( that I can recall ) where I have had priblems and given that this is an LNER based forum might be controversial to mention was the Hornby Railroad Black 5 and even then it was only the tender where the trouble was ( the ex motor block was the issue ). I was literally able to break the motor block using my fingers so for me that has been the only problem I have encountered up to now.

My apologies for the mention of the rival companies loco but it has been the only issue I have had.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Mersey508138 wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 4:35 pm My apologies for the mention of the rival companies loco but it has been the only issue I have had.
FWIW, no apology is necessary because most seriously modelling a main line section will inevitably require stock and quite often tractiuon from other companies to represent the traffic flows between companies (and subsequently between BR regions) which enabled through access for both passengers and freight.
Pebbles
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Pebbles »

Where does consumer protect lie with this? I have heard that some Hornby Dublo models have suffered and I remember seeing an old pre-war A4 where new wheels had been made. However, a supplementary issues is the lack of spares support from Hornby. One should not have to scour Ebay for parts. This was not the case many moons ago.
nzpaul
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by nzpaul »

Coincidentally, I also have an L1 in for repairs. Hornby R2959 version in lines green "British Railways" livery. This one has been dropped (not me, I didn't do it) and lost all of the buffers and broken the buffer beams with two coupling rods bent as well as some of the valve gear. Surprisingly, that's the extent of the damage, the rest has survived including ladders, conduits and boiler fittings.
The important part is that it is devoid of any rotting/expanding metal components......for now at least, which I hope is a good omen for those with the same one.

Paul
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Pebbles wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 6:04 pm Where does consumer protection lie with this? ...
In the UK these products are classed as toys, and once the item is in the customer's hands in fully working condition, and remains so within whatever warranty period the brand offers, that's it all done.

There have been exceptions where significant rates of failure have occurred on products out of warranty, directly attributable to manufacturing defects. Since the transfer of all manufacturing to China, of RTR OO, all of Bachmann, Heljan and Hornby have issued replacements, for fault causes relating to such as mazak rot, mechanism assembly, motors. This should be understood as discretionary action on the part of the brand managements, there is no compulsion in law, only their judgement of impact on reputation.
Mersey508138
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by Mersey508138 »

I have just had a look at the new modellers shop website and currently they have 2 of the front pony wheelsets available for £9 each, the part number is X6221.

Hope this helps.

Re my black 5 loco, I replaced the goosed motor block with the unpowered bogie insert fron a class 92 loco, added my own self made pickups, wired them to the loco and all was well.