2750 (Tom's) Workbench-North Eastern Modelling 1938

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Tom's Layout and Work Bench

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up, Tom!

Was that your wallet I heard scampering out of the door? :lol:
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Blink Bonny wrote:Ay up, Tom!

Was that your wallet I heard scampering out of the door? :lol:
yep wallet has disappeared out the door...and headed for the nearest port!

Better not mention the thoughts on a future J25....!
Tom Foster
Modelling the North Eastern Area of the LNER - 1935-1939
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

you need a Black Country wench. She's tamed mine... :shock:
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

With newly home-made bigger cylinders, fitted where they ought to be rather than adjusted to miss the bogie, plus one or two other cosmetic tweaks, I thought that even the original Hornby D49 scrubbed up quite well - for its day. I'm very much hoping that the expected loco-drive Railroad chassis, with nicer new wheels to a finer modern profile, will NOT have horrible rubber tyres, as I'd love to swap one into my "Lincolnshire" and get rid of the Ringfield tender drive and surplus loco body + chassis via eBay or suchlike. A set of Comet motion ought to then just about give me the nice D49 I really wanted, and as ever, on a budget.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Atlantic 3279 wrote:With newly home-made bigger cylinders, fitted where they ought to be rather than adjusted to miss the bogie, plus one or two other cosmetic tweaks, I thought that even the original Hornby D49 scrubbed up quite well - for its day. I'm very much hoping that the expected loco-drive Railroad chassis, with nicer new wheels to a finer modern profile, will NOT have horrible rubber tyres, as I'd love to swap one into my "Lincolnshire" and get rid of the Ringfield tender drive and surplus loco body + chassis via eBay or suchlike. A set of Comet motion ought to then just about give me the nice D49 I really wanted, and as ever, on a budget.
Hmmm an interesting thought....doing (my version) York...certainly don't have a shortage of D49s....oh and B16s....love B16s!
Tom Foster
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Afternoon all

Well, on this Cold damp Saturday, I decided to go ahead and weather one of my new layouts pacifcs.

Below is 60045 'LEMBERG' renumbered from a 'PRINCE PALATINE' model.

60045 is a 52A loco...so yes, not many cleaners.... so I've tried to weather her in an appearance which reflects her say, 4-5 months out of Doncaster, and receiving her Blue livery...but being Gateshed...the filth is very much apparent.

I weathered her with airbursh, then steaking/removing with thinners and a brush, then with brushed with Johnsons Klear, before then being airbrushed again, and more muck removed, finally poweders were used on top to give the effect of smoke on the boiler top.

Quite pleased with her, just shame the suns not out. and apologise the pictures aren't as sharp as they could do...due to the fact it's finely raining, I tried to grab them quick, and then get back inside! ;)

Tom
Attachments
DSCF2194.JPG
DSCF2199.JPG
DSCF2200.JPG
Tom Foster
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Nice job on Lemberg, I hope the proposed B16 wont be pristine :D
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

52D wrote:Nice job on Lemberg, I hope the proposed B16 wont be pristine :D
Thanks 52D :) ah the B16 wont be filthy but certainly wont be pristine either ;)

Tom
Tom Foster
coachmann
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by coachmann »

A neat job of the weathering there. Shame about Hornby's motion though......That expansion link needs well shortening.
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

I agree with coachmann on the valve gear. A pity on an otherwise faultless (to me, anyway! :mrgreen: ) model. The weathering looks A1 though, Tom. Good on yer.

Atlantic, you've got me thinking with that D49 project. I wonder what I could do with the Compound coming out in the same range...
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

coachmann wrote:A neat job of the weathering there. Shame about Hornby's motion though......That expansion link needs well shortening.
Hmmm for some reason it was set wrong on my model, I've tweaked it and it's now like the rest. Is that what you were alluding to coachman? Or is it generally wrong on the Hornby models?

Tom
Tom Foster
Tim79
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Tim79 »

B1 Tom wrote:
coachmann wrote:A neat job of the weathering there. Shame about Hornby's motion though......That expansion link needs well shortening.
Hmmm for some reason it was set wrong on my model, I've tweaked it and it's now like the rest. Is that what you were alluding to coachman? Or is it generally wrong on the Hornby models?

Tom
Tom,

Generally wrong on all Hornby A3s from what I can tell. The other little issue that still hasn't improved centres around the motion brackets. See here for what I mean.

It's all down to how Hornby have done their pressed motion brackets which moves the slightly too long expansion link further down than it needs to be. If it helps matters, they didn't do a great job on their Royal Scots either - the eccentric rods are quite a bit on the long side!

Cheers,
Tim
Coboman
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by Coboman »

Has it been done semi on purpose to make things move more for visual effects?
Its good to know where you stand. Saves making a fool of yourself later......
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

I suspect meself its a combination of ease of production and Chinese design. After all, every drawing of a Stanier LMS tender shows a small segment of straight beading between the curves on the tender back. I have only seen this on a real tender following the rebodying of a few. No "Genuine" LMS/BR built tender I've ever seen has anything other than a smooth "S" shaped curve at the rear of the coal space.

HAve a look at a Mainline, Bachmann or modern Hornby tender. Shudder. And its not wasy to put right...
coachmann
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by coachmann »

Atlantic, you've got me thinking with that D49 project. I wonder what I could do with the Compound coming out in the same range...
The obvious chassis (to me) is the Schools under a D49. I bought a new Hornby D49 body and tender (very good mouldings they are too) but cried off buying a Schools just for its chassis.