2750 (Tom's) Workbench-North Eastern Modelling 1938

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: Tom's Layout and Work Bench

Post by Tom F »

Thanks Blink Bonny :)

Well, the sun has come out in the Dales, and I figured I could get a couple of good snaps of 67777 today. As a good friend has told me, nothing beats natural light for photography of locos. Absolutely! ;)

And here she is, really pleased with the finish look now.

and finally, this close up on the smoke box, showing the slight rust effect I was able to capture with powders, quite pleased with that.

Tom Foster
Modelling the North Eastern Area of the LNER - 1935-1939
majormagna
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by majormagna »

Brilliant work there Tom; inspired by the front cover of the NYMR Illustrated History eh?

Now we just need one ON the NYMR :P
Moors Bound
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Majormagna wrote:Brilliant work there Tom; inspired by the front cover of the NYMR Illustrated History eh?

Now we just need one ON the NYMR :P
Cheers Dan

Yeah, chuffed with her....aye that NYMR illustrated History is pretty good book, but I love that cover.....only trouble with the L1 from all accounts, all very well being a handsome loco.....but shame they weren't that great! :(
Tom Foster
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Would probably been a very useful engine, if they'd had 5'8" wheels 8)

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
majormagna
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by majormagna »

B1 Tom wrote:all very well being a handsome loco.....but shame they weren't that great! :(
They would have fared a lot better, had they not been thrashed on suburban trains; especially since they weren't built for that. Routes in the Whitby area (To Malton, Middlesbrough and Scarbrough) matched their intended usage perfectly.

'Course the A8s, V3s and BR 4MT tank locos did well enough.
Moors Bound
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Majormagna wrote:
B1 Tom wrote:all very well being a handsome loco.....but shame they weren't that great! :(
They would have fared a lot better, had they not been thrashed on suburban trains; especially since they weren't built for that. Routes in the Whitby area (To Malton, Middlesbrough and Scarbrough) matched their intended usage perfectly.

'Course the A8s, V3s and BR 4MT tank locos did well enough.
I was going to add that I'd read that too.... that they were not intended for the suburban services.

It's ok guys....when I win the Euro Millions, I'll have a new one built.....and a D20....and an A8.....and a B16/3.....oh look I'm now skint! :lol:
Tom Foster
majormagna
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by majormagna »

Just a thought, if an L1 was built today to the same standards of a certain other new-build, perhaps it would be able to deal with the duties that ravaged the originals.
Moors Bound
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Tom probably outside your timeline but in The East Coast Mainline since 1925 by Hoole there is a pic of D11 Gerald Powys Dewhurst south of Tadcaster on the Harrogate Pullman in early LNER days.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Afternoon all

This week the new 'Aspects of Modelling on Weathering' arrived by Mr Tim Shackleton. His work has been my main inspiration along with a few RMwebbers, to really push what I can do with weathering. The book certainly was an inspiration, more helpful in someways that his Right Track DVD as I can keep referring to it where ever I am.

Anyhow, it was while reading the book this weekend I realised I wasn't happy with the L1....and then realised I hadn't buffed the model with a cotton wall bud, which is one of the reason Mr Shakleton suggest using Metalcote Gun Metal. So I have buffed the smoke box and part of the tanks of the L1...and I'm really pleased with the results, and the recent weather certainly helps with the photos!
Attachments
DSCF2181.JPG
DSCF2182.JPG
DSCF2183.JPG
DSCF2184.JPG
Tom Foster
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

That looks real.

SO says Mrs BB.
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Blink Bonny wrote:Ay up!

That looks real.

SO says Mrs BB.
Cheers BB :) I'm quite pleased with her!

Ok a rather big update!

I felt the time was right, to show what is to rise from the ashes of the old Eastcote layout.

Leaman Road....yes you may notice the misspelling there ;) as this is my version of York.

I don't intend to to go over the issues with the Eastcote layout, all that needs to be said is, it was too big....hadn't been planned properly...and I wasn't able to run the type of locomotives I wanted (kit built finescale locos). I wanted a layout that I could enjoy...something the last layout was never able to do.

The biggest change is this will be DCC operated, allowing me the freedom to move whatever loco I wish.

Area....North Eastern Region....I live in the area, and LNER heritage, and pregourping GNR, GCR and NER all appeal to me.

Era Circa 1950, back when I decided the Eastcote layout would be LNER based....early nationalisation had appealed to me...but at the time I saw there was alot more late 50s stock available without repaints etc. This seemed like the time to do the original era I intended, lots of colours, either LNER liveries, experimental BR, and the standard BR Green.

RMweb user great northern (Gilbert) has been of great help and I can't thank him enough for setting me on the right course with this one!

Below is the rough Plan for Leaman Road, there will possibly be some alterations to certain tracks...but the plan is roughly based on Bradford Adolphus Street

Now over the next month or so, major alterations will be taking place to the current baseboards....the whole thing slopes at either ends, not my Dad's fault who helped build them, more me keep changing my mind on what the layout would be, with there originally being gradients at each end. So a new frame will be built up with new ply baseboards being used on top. So the actually new baseboard height will be a couple of inches higher than the current one seen in the pictures below.

These pictures below aim to simply show things stripped back look.

The dimension are 14ft by 2ft

MPD area

Area of coaling stage and running lines

Scenic break of road bridge and fiddle yard/storage beyond

Anyhow...I figured the thread should be started at some point, although not as big as the last layout...this feels like a far bigger and better venture...wish me luck!

Tom
Tom Foster
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

It's a shame that the very nice backscene may no longer be appropriate.

Remember to peel the label off before you eat the rest of the apple.......
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Atlantic 3279 wrote:It's a shame that the very nice backscene may no longer be appropriate.

Remember to peel the label off before you eat the rest of the apple.......
That is my only regret is the backscene.... :(

Oh the apples not for me....it's for the hedgehog we found in the garden on saturday afternoon.....hedgehog doing well....and will have trains for company this winter! :D
Tom Foster
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

Looking good. You can section the track up and do it with DC. We did that with Engine Shed Road.

Mind you, its a hell of a lot of work to do. If your talents run to DCC (mine don't frankly and I fry more chips than our local chippy!) go for it.

Mind you, DCC sound - that appeals. That appeals a lot.
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Blink Bonny wrote:Ay up!

Looking good. You can section the track up and do it with DC. We did that with Engine Shed Road.

Mind you, its a hell of a lot of work to do. If your talents run to DCC (mine don't frankly and I fry more chips than our local chippy!) go for it.

Mind you, DCC sound - that appeals. That appeals a lot.

Cheers Blink Bonny.

After seeing Gilbert Barnatt's Peterborough North, and another friend of mines DCC layout (he's rather a DCC whizz) I realised the potential it has on a MPD layout, moving what ever I want on and off shed at ease.

Just decided on a couple of Kit commissions which will be appearing next year......B16....cough....cough....D49...cough cough ;)
Tom Foster