West End Workbench

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: West End Workbench

Post by jwealleans »

I seem to have a lot of things stopped awaiting parts at the moment, so when inclement weather sent me home from work early on Saturday there was really only one thing to do.... build some wagons. Well, why not.

This came to me from John Houlden, who has sold off his 4mm stock to move up to 7mm. I expect Scottiedog can tell us how old it is. Went together very well per instructions, except that I replaced the cast W irons with brass ones and cut the axleboxes and springs out to stick on cosmetically. This and the next vehicle need 14mm spoked wheels and an order will go off to Andrew at Wizard probably this week.

While I had that in hand I pulled this one out of the kit box... same origins but more recent manufacture. Built up just as well and awaits the same replacement wheelsets.

Nice as those were it was this that I had been waiting to build... Bill's glass wagon. Not LNER but I thought probably of interest to those who appreciate an interesting wagon. Lovely thing, pleasure to put together and runs beautifully. I'm waiting for the return of the LNWR wagons book to study the securing chains and turnbuckles and will probably make a suitable crate to load it with.
Last edited by jwealleans on Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Busy putting carriages back together this week after some bits turned up at the weekend.

The other - composite - half of the GN twin, almost level - it has to split to go back in the box, so I didn't attach them properly.

Also from a Bill Bedford kit, LNER Composite to diagram 7. This has 2 1/2 - 5 instead of the more common 3 1/2 - 4 compartments. The interior has also gone in the wrong way round.

Finally a D114 BTK(4), MJT built exactly as intended by Mr. Scott.

Only one vehicle left to do, a D 23 TK and I'm caught up with unfinished carriages. There are 3 more waiting to be built over the summer (ideally) for the Grantham autumn tour.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Last two carriages done - the D23 mentioned above:

and the D7 Composite now complete.

Fitting handrails to the D23 was a real trial, not helped by the glazing falling out all over the place. I think I must have secured it with Klear as an experiment. Not again.

The D7 interior was the wrong way round because I'd soldered the supplied partition in that way, so it's all been out and back in correctly. It looks better now.
Woodcock29
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Woodcock29 »

Wonderful looking coaches as always Jonathon.

Andrew Emmett
LNER4479
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by LNER4479 »

Woodcock29 wrote:Wonderful looking coaches as always Jonathon.

Andrew Emmett
A slightly belated 'hear, hear!' from the Grantham jury. I love the asymmetric look of that Dia.7 Compo, wonderful modelling.

You should write this lot up for one of the mags one of these days; definitely worthy of wider recognition :wink:
(recreating pre-war Grantham in model form http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9076.
Forthcoming exhibition appearances: Newcastle (Nov 2023); York (Easter 2024); Bristol (May 2024)
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

It's been very quiet for a few days - are we all out enjoying the unaccustomed sunshine? This isn't LNER but could be applied to any period layout and it makes something for you all to read: I've been working on a small diorama for Ormesby Hall. I picked up a wagon body for an LSWR van with open door from Gramodels (ref. 00415) some time ago - probably some years ago - and the urge just took me to complete it. I took most of the idea from Paul Gallon who did something similar on one of his layouts. Here it's 95% complete - I need to obtain some buffers from David Geen.

Apologies for the mobile phone quality photo, but there's no room to get a camera between this and the back of the layout (it faces backwards and is viewed using a mirror).

The workmen are Monty's, the bathtubs, buckets and mangles Langley and the ladder left over from a signal ladder from MSE. The wagon is just a body, you have to make a floor, fit wheels, brake gear and the rest, but that's all easy enough, especially if it doesn't have to move.
Last edited by jwealleans on Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Been a few odd jobs over the bench this week. It's been too cold and damp to do much painting, so I've tried to get through a few of the little jobs which clutter up the workshop.

This was an Ebay buy which turned out to have been assembled with Araldite and a trowel. The sides had also been wrongly bent up and it's been a struggle getting them to the right height. It's now been soldered together but needs vac gear and battery boxes fitting. It was built with gas lighting and westinghouse brakes only, but I'll finish it as one of the examples cascaded to the GE section for use on Wickham Market, which means electric lighting and vacuum gear. Fortunately I have another of these in kit form which had the layout of the fittings in the instructions.

Two wagons almost done - LMS glass has had the chains added and the SR cattle wagon has been lettered.

Finally a Hornby J15 I'm weathering up for a colleague in Ely club. Renumbered to 65476 and working towards the condition shown in the several colour photos of her in the last days of steam in the GE section. Still some work to do but I think we're getting there.
Last edited by jwealleans on Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

This weekend was a running session at Grantham: courtesy of Graham Nicholas, the almost complete C7 after successful haulage trials, about to be turned.

Edit - for comparison, here it is in 'as acquired' condition at the very first running session I took it to, just under three years ago.

Last edited by jwealleans on Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

Three years to fettle a loco..............that was quick :lol:

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Three years? That's a calumny. Can I refer you to page 117, where you see the project start a mere 7 months ago.
2512silverfox

Post by 2512silverfox »

Jonathan

Spectacular transformation, but note that Darlington painted buffer stocks Red!

Keep up the good work.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Blow - and I carefully sprayed them off the loco as well. Not to worry, that's why we post photos. Thanks, Nick.
Woodcock29
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Woodcock29 »

Don't despair Jonathon. There is significant evidence in LNER Locomotives in Colour 1936-1948 that Darlington did indeed paint buffer stocks on green ex NE locos black - see pages 22-25, 38, 50-51, and last and best 55 where one can even see the red lining around the end of group standard black stocks on a C6 which are what you appear to have fitted to your C7.

Andrew
LNER4479
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by LNER4479 »

jwealleans wrote:This weekend was a running session at Grantham: courtesy of Graham Nicholas, the almost complete C7 after successful haulage trials, about to be turned.

Edit - for comparison, here it is in 'as acquired' condition at the very first running session I took it to, just under three years ago.
I don't know what a calumny is but it's certainly a transformation! I have a feeling No.706 is going to be come a firm favourite :D
(recreating pre-war Grantham in model form http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9076.
Forthcoming exhibition appearances: Newcastle (Nov 2023); York (Easter 2024); Bristol (May 2024)
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Don't despair Jonathon. There is significant evidence in LNER Locomotives in Colour 1936-1948 that Darlington did indeed paint buffer stocks on green ex NE locos black - see pages 22-25, 38, 50-51, and last and best 55 where one can even see the red lining around the end of group standard black stocks on a C6 which are what you appear to have fitted to your C7.
I have to agree with Woodcock29, particularly with regard to the fitting of GS buffers. But it is a total modellers' minefield.

Black and green locos may have been treated differently at Darlington. I am really not sure if there is a definitive answer?

And, before I forget the purpose of the thread, very nice transformation too Jonathan.

John