2750 (Tom's) Workbench-North Eastern Modelling 1938

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: TomTank's Layout and Work Bench

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Hi Tom, now that brings back some memories, as a kid watching trains at Wood Green Nth. London, in the course of a day I would see in the region of 30 of these WD's working in and out of Ferme Park, sometimes two coupled together on a train of empties heading back to New England, I wonder if anyone got a photo of them ???

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Evening Gents

Latest update from the layout, I have continued using the static crass right round onto the corner. Here I decided to use the Peco fencing as it allows it to flex to the contours of the terrian, I then went about making a difference in the scatter grass used, lineside being the yellowy green grass we are used to seeing lineside, with a greener field grass in the field behind, plus the addition of 4 trees now...which I hope allows the backdrop to merge into the layout.

Here are the latest pictures, ballasting is not compete yet...although I'm wanting show weathered ballast alongside new ballast, from photos this could be seen quite often.

Tom Foster
Modelling the North Eastern Area of the LNER - 1935-1939
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Evening Gents

I have taken a couple more photographs of the area, plus some to show what changes are planned over the next week or so.

A view looking towards the area from the Main Line

Some loco action, V2 60800 'GREEN ARROW' with a Southbound Fitted Freight, I have some more trees on order, a couple more to go in this area, and some more to go elsewhere.

Ok now we have a look directly behind the sheds, this area is to be rather overgrown in general, but standing tall facing the down Main Line on it's approach to Eastcote Central, will be a billboard with some 1960 imagery ;)

and finally, we can see here were the new photographic backdrops meet the old Peco ones. What I'm planning to do here, is either scratch build or see if I can get the fronts of some warehouses, a Way of making it actually real being an inch thick, rather than another backdrop.

Thats the plan for the next week :)
Tom Foster
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

Lovely stuff, Tom. Just placing my hand over the right-hand side of my computer screen to hide the join between the angles of the background, and I'm there. :D
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

giner wrote:Lovely stuff, Tom. Just placing my hand over the right-hand side of my computer screen to hide the join between the angles of the background, and I'm there. :D
Does this help giner ;)

Tom Foster
rob237
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by rob237 »

Quite superb...

Your new backscenes have greatly enhanced the realism...especially like the fence.

Becoming rather fed up of you top modellers consistently 'raising the bar', in relation to my own puny efforts :oops:

Cheers
Robt P.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

You appear to have achieved a nice blend between the colour of the foreground on the baseboard, and the colours of the receding scene in the print.
Last edited by Atlantic 3279 on Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Afternoon chaps

I recently aquired a double chimney A3 60039 'Sandwiche (without smoke deflectors) and A4 boiler from a RMweb member. I already had this loco which I renumbered to 60086 'GAINSBOROUGH' last year...but fancied another go renumbering.

This loco is to be 60060 'THE TETRARCH' a Gateshead A3

I apologies the camera isn't great on close ups, next update I will used my dads camera.

This time I used T-CUT to remove the number on a cocktail stick, worked very well and as I had been told before, leaves a nice shiny service for the new number to go on.

I then added the fox numbers and nameplate

Pleased with the results so far.

Next will be the weathering, bought MIG's Weathering powders and oil and greese wash, after a glowing review in Model Rail, so will be interested how these look :)
Tom Foster
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Evening Gents

This evening gave me the opportunity to have a real blitz on the layout.

Firstly I began adding the new trees I had ordered, which are all now in place, plus some more static grass action ;) finally the addition of some bits and bobs. All that is left it add some telegraph poles which will be done this week.

The additional trees added, plus some more hedges added behind the fencing.

A3 60060 'The Tetrarch (recent renumbering and weathering job I have done on a Sandwich model) rounds the curve at speed on the approach to East Allerton.

B1 61010 'Wildebeest' runs light engine passing just North of East Allerton.

Finally, a little addition, Billboard just on the outskirts of Eastcote Central showing the new station to be built in a certain Northern City....Manchester Piccadilly, the old Peco backgrounds will not be replaced, instead will have low relief retaining walls and buildings added infront of them, most likely from scalescenes.
Tom Foster
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Tom you have just about captured it right Wildebeest just looks like the last B1 i saw in BR service albeit minus nameplates 61014 Oribi
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

As a way if visual showing the improvements of the layout, below is a trailer for my next North Eastern Steam episode......in HD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59cRTUc8rRU
Tom Foster
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Latest update on the layout chaps :)

More my Dad's work than mine if I'm honest. We started looking at the scalescene products, and I'm really impressed by them the detailing is really quite lovely. So here are fully constructed, the arched retaining walls and the factory, which has been constructed as low relief.

Weathering was done by me, not over the top, just to give it a look that settles into the layout.

Will update once mounted on the layout :)
Tom Foster
mr B
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by mr B »

simple tip, for protecting the print simply brush over with Humbrol Matt Cote (stir well).

mr B
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

mr B wrote:simple tip, for protecting the print simply brush over with Humbrol Matt Cote (stir well).

mr B
Hi Mr B, have been giving a light coat of Humbrol Spray Matt Varnish, have to be careful though otherside there is really bad frosting effect if you choose to much.
Tom Foster
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Morning all

Something that has been on my mind for the last few months has been my coaching stock. I'm quite happy to weather locos but have mostly kept the coaching stock factory fresh.

So after asking some advice on Rmweb, I decided to have a go.

I started with a Maroon BR MK1 Second Open. The coach was Western Region, so the number had to be changed to something more in my area ;)

I then started by mixing mud and rust colours on the underframes and bogies before moving up onto the body side. Black was using in all the door joins so you get that dark outline around the door edges and recesses.

I also used the same method on a suburban coach to add to the fleet.

The roof was then worked on to give the effect of smoke stains.

I found the key really, was to work downwards, not side to side, that way I realistic streaking effect is possible in places. I've tried not to go over the top, but to just let the stock look used.

Finally here is a loco I've had for a good year or so 60077 'THE WHITE KNIGHT" She had been badly weathered by myself using Model mates spray (great on scenary, not so great on locos) so taking advice from RMwebs Max Stafford, I used T-CUT on the body, which removed alot of the spray residue, but left it in all the cranies around the boiler cladding. The T-Cut leaves a nice dull shine which looks quite realistic. I then gave a quick spray with Matt Varnish over the top and added some smoke stains along the boiler top, while also adding mud effects around the lower portion of the loco.

First picture is slightly blurred, apologies

Finally I painted the motion (another Max Stafford tip) with Humbrol Gloss No:9, overall effects I'm pleased with
and I added some Springside LNER Lamps, to give her the prestigious EXPERSS LOCO look ;)
Tom Foster