Hornby Railroad D49

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: Hornby Railroad D49

Post by 2002EarlMarischal »

To save you looking, here she is at the Doncaster Open Day in July 2003.
Morayshire July 27th 2003.JPG
Coboman
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by Coboman »

Anybody wanting to do away with the black cylinder covers, heres an easy, cheap fix.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320813701822
Scratch that, I think these are Schools class cylinders so better not buy until I've got word off the seller!
Its good to know where you stand. Saves making a fool of yourself later......
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Hiya and merry christmas to all Gresley fans
As I read somewhere, probably FAS Brown's book, Doncaster painted the cylinder covers green and Darlington black. Most of the D49s were built at Darlington so would originally have had black cylinders.
Best wishes to all
Earlswood Nob
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

:? :shock: Are you sure M? That seems to be the reverse of accepted "fact" and photographic evidence.

On the puzzling and controversial matter of shades of green, I have a book all about railway liveries which refers to Darlington green as being yellower, but that has never seemed to me to agree with other pieces of evidence.....

Having looked at all of the D49 photos I could find, I'd agree that there's no hard evidence of lining at the cab-firebox joint, although many photos show misleading "false double white lines" reflecting from the edges of the angle iron that closes the joint.

In addition to the lining that Mick listed, a very clear "Lens of Sutton" photo of The Pytchley leaving Hull in the mid-thirties (LNER Album vol 2) shows that the splasher TOPS are lined too.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

I agree Darlington lined (square) cylinders Green
Last edited by mick b on Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Doncaster never painted their cylinders lined green as far as I know - this was always the NER styling for Darlington Works, even after the 1923 grouping (and hence the similar treatment to the V2s built there).
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

OOOPS
Merry christmas to all
Apologies....New Years resolution.....do not post anything without checking the facts.
DARLINGTON painted the cylinders green and DONCASTER painted them black.
I checked F.A.S. BROWN's book last night, and realised I had made a mistake.
The festive season must be getting to me, or all the walking I'm doing. I intend walking the Woodhead line between Penistone and Glossop next spring and I'm training by walking at least ten miles a day, usually along the North Downs Way. Everything becomes a rush then to fit things in. With current form I'll walk the wrong way and end up in Sheffield and Lincolnshire.
Best wishes to all
Earlswood Nob
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

earlswood nob wrote:OOOPS
Merry christmas to all
Apologies....New Years resolution.....do not post anything without checking the facts.
DARLINGTON painted the cylinders green and DONCASTER painted them black.
I checked F.A.S. BROWN's book last night, and realised I had made a mistake.
The festive season must be getting to me, or all the walking I'm doing. I intend walking the Woodhead line between Penistone and Glossop next spring and I'm training by walking at least ten miles a day, usually along the North Downs Way. Everything becomes a rush then to fit things in. With current form I'll walk the wrong way and end up in Sheffield and Lincolnshire.
Best wishes to all
Earlswood Nob
Worse still you could turn right up the branch and end up at Hepworths works.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Daddyman
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Daddyman »

A couple of pictures here of an attempt to do something with the Railroad D49. This is for my dad's layout, not intended as a scale model, just to make the Railroad effort slightly less offensive to the eye - well, my dad's eye anyway...
Attachments
P1030405.JPG
P1030407.JPG
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Looks better already. How is the valve gear fixed onto chassis?
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Excellent modifications there. Where did you source the Lentz gear, might I ask? :)
Daddyman
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Daddyman »

The valve gear is all suspended from the footplate, not the chassis. Needless to say, it doesn't rotate... :?
It's made of whatever I could find in my dad's bits box while model shops were closed over Christmas - 0.5mm wire, 1.0mm and 1.4mm plastic tube, etc. The disc on the cylinders was from an unknown part of an unknown wagon kit. We'll try to post another pic tomorrow with cylinder draincocks on, steps, and the Lentz-Poppet finished.
Coronach
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by Coronach »

Pretty good job if I say so, fella. It gives a convincing impression of what should be there. Anyone out there know if the Comet D49 valve gear can be bodged to this model to produce the 'Shire' variant?

Dave.
"If they say it's good, we know it's bad; if they say it's bad, we know it's good." - Jimmy Reid.
Daddyman
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Daddyman »

Cheers!
The problem with trying to fit the Comet valve gear would be the slide bars. I don't know how you'd attach them to the springy plastic cylinders. On the other hand, maybe you could keep the Hornby slide bars, with all the excess cut away, but if you cut all the excess away there's nothing to hold the Hornby slide bars into the cylinders (they're bolted to the top of the chassis, and that's the only thing that keeps them rigid - they're loose in the cylinders; we had to keep more of the Hornby valve gear than we wanted.
Coboman
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by Coboman »

The slide bars are punched from a flat sheet of metal and are pushed into a slot in the cylinder. The problem is the slide bar has an indentation that sits inside the cylinder and stops it coming out. Infact I found it impossiable to remove the slide bar without destroying the cylinder. I've not touched a new D49, just an old "Cheshire" one from the early 80s. It sounds like the cylinder might be different on the new D49 from what you say mind you..
Its good to know where you stand. Saves making a fool of yourself later......