West End Workbench

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

LNER4479
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Re: West End Workbench

Post by LNER4479 »

Congratulations on page no:

:D :D :D :D :D
(recreating pre-war Grantham in model form http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9076.
Forthcoming exhibition appearances: Newcastle (Nov 2023); York (Easter 2024); Bristol (May 2024)
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Right, let's start the page 100 party shall we? I know Jonathan isn't here at present, but that's all the more party goodies for the rest of us!
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Jonathan

Congratulations, on being 100 not out, you have supplied me with so much information................For FREE, Thank you

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Wow..100 pages...congrats.
So I pushed you over the page.....I did not realise.
:D :D

Do I get a prize ?....were is the party.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Dave wrote:were is the party.
Is that a future conditional tense party?
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Danby Wiske
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Danby Wiske »

Atlantic 3279 wrote:
Dave wrote:were is the party.
Is that a future conditional tense party?
I've been to a few tense parties, but not sure if they were future conditional or not...

Congrats on 100 pages JW - keep up the good work! :D :D :D
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

Many thanks for all the information, and good ideas, and inspiration!
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Well, thank you all very much indeed. Did I miss a party? I hope you didn't eat all the Salt and Vinegar Pringles, otherwise I may have to have a grump.

I read all your kind words and thought the best way to say thank you was a few pictures. So I took the camera on a quick tour of the bench to show you what's on the go. Some of these are familiar, some may be new and one or two have dragged on for an embarrassingly long time. I have a friend who regularly pulls out unfinished projects from the 1980s and even the 1970s. I have never been as bad as that.

So, the current focus of attention:

I spent the afternoon detailing this. It's dangerously close to primer and will probably come out for a test run on Monday night.

I'm only doing minor paintwork to 4444 for the moment. If I'm happy with the finish I manage on the others then a repaint may be considered...

I'm also amending the incorrect splasher lining on 4412. My pot of Railmatch Doncaster Green has gone very thick, though, so so far the finish isn't great. I'm not looking forward to lining all these wheels either.

The future 3296 has been waiting for the package from Markits. A package arrived this morning, but sadly it contained the wheels and axles for a TT GWR six coupled engine. I suspect there's a GWR modeller somewhere who's a bit peeved as well. I shall be speaking to him on Monday.

I expect to collect the rest of the flywheels for these locos on Monday from my helpful friend with the pillar drill.

Elsewhere on the bench and in the background of a lot of photos over the last few months:

This is the weathering queue. Most of these were built on my holidays in April.

These are the part weathered line. These have had a dirty wash and now await powders. The twin needs chains and shackles adding too.

You've seen the H & B van quite recently. The K's I'm doing as an unfitted BR liveried version for Thurston. I've replaced the roof with a plastic one to cut the weight down a bit. This spent several months waiting for me to order the right buffers from Dave Franks.

Speaking of Thurston, these are from the shunting stock for repair. I think both have lost their brake levers on the other side and the bracing has warped on the open. The larger one is an L & Y fitted open (MAJ kit) and the palbrick is a Genesis kit. That palbrick is the one wagon more people ask me about at shows than any other.

I don't think this has been seen before - scratchbuilt LSWR bogie bolster. I am building one of these for someone else and decided to do one for myself at the same time as it's an interesting prototype. Two and a half years in, the end is coming slowly into sight.

This I only started in April - Parkside NE bogie bolster converted to a North British boplate. It's been lengthened but that's about all, I still have to make the sides.

This you've seen another example of before, it's a conversion of a Parkside fitted van to unfitted. This was also waiting for buffers for a very long time.

Finally, if you strain your eyes, this is a scratchbuilt insulated meat container and appropriate conflat as illustrated in the older edition of Tatlow. Thos of you whom I met at Wakefield will have seen this. The container is pretty well finished, the wagon still needs a fair bit of detail. This is being made for Grantham but there is a tentative plan to make some available if there's any interest.

In similar vein, this will be a BK container on a Conflat V. These both need quite a bit of work to finish. I was rather hoping the last part of the new Tatlow would be out in time to help me finish these, but in view of the sad circumstances of the delay I can manage with the images and information I have.

So there you go. Hopefully it won't be to many pages before this lot is all complete and we can move on to more new and exciting things. I have a few carriages lined up for the holidays, if all goes well.....
Last edited by jwealleans on Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Jonathan
Are the containers resin ? I would take a couple.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Another example of converted Parkside vans.

There are lots of variations.

I should start my own thread perhaps.

This has a Cambrian steel u/f, with MJT bits too. Most of my models are 9ft wheelbase, due to circa 1932 era.

The central door bar was removed by a micro milling machine. Sprung buffers, separate safety loops etc.

I cannot work at Jonathan's pace!

John
Attachments
DSC_0052 low res crop.jpg
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

Some of the BK containers and a Conflat V or two would be quite useful!

I was going to make a B container, but if someone else has done the hard work I'm happy to make use of it!
D2100
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by D2100 »

Interesting to see the old K's LNER van, it doesnt look half bad for its age. What's the Genesis Palbrick like to build?
Ian Fleming

Now active on Facebook at 'The Clearing House'
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Jonathan.
Great set of models thanks for showing, as I said at Wakefield if all goes well count me in for a couple of containers.

John as nice little model you have there, you should have brought it along too.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

All good stuff!

I suspect the answer to Mick's question is "not yet, but watch this space".

LNER4479
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by LNER4479 »

JASd17 wrote: I cannot work at Jonathan's pace!
John
No-one can work at JW's pace :lol:

Enjoyed my visit to the West End Workbench works open day - you must do it again sometime.

Conflats look good - the Scotch Goods will be pleased :D

Looking forward to the output from the holiday coach building programme - I think we made it about 17 brake coaches at the last count...
(recreating pre-war Grantham in model form http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9076.
Forthcoming exhibition appearances: Newcastle (Nov 2023); York (Easter 2024); Bristol (May 2024)