West End Workbench

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: West End Workbench

Post by jwealleans »

Mick, the C1 still has the K's girder chassis and the original rear axle dangling in slots. I made a new pivot arm for the front bogie and will probably try the Comet one for the other of the pair. It goes round curves without a problem up to now, although I don't suppose I've run it in reverse much.

I've been spared the C7 which needs repainting into green as someone else is providing one. It's very much on a par with the B16. I'd be looking to see what castings Arthur can do as and when I come to restore mine.

DW - weathering won't cut it, it's completely the wrong shade of green. I have just learned to live with it and TBH it doesn't bother me unduly now, except when I see them in company with engines the correct shade.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Yes I have some of Arthurs detail parts for the C7. Shame he doesnt do a complete kit !!
I have a Comet Bogie etch will have a look to see if viable to fit.
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

mick b wrote:Yes I have some of Arthurs detail parts for the C7. Shame he doesnt do a complete kit !!
Keep suggesting it Mick, Arthur may become tempted. A new C7 kit is well over due!
Tom Foster
Modelling the North Eastern Area of the LNER - 1935-1939
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Wow that's some collection gathering there and excellent modelling to boot! Those teaks look exceptionally good. My favourite though has to be the Q2, any chance of a clearer pic?
Steve
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

G'day all
The rain has stopped, so I may well be able to go walking this afternoon. Hooray!!!
It was interesting to read of Caustic Soda removing glue. What sort of dilution do you use?
I use a dilute (6%) solution of Caustic Soda to remove paint, but normally use Nitromors to remove glue.
I have one of my old Wills kits to rebuild sometime, and it would be a waste to but a can of Nitromors for just one loco.
It is a good selection of locos/carriages that you have illustrated.
Earlswood nob
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

6%? Blimey, EN, I'm not that scientific - it's a coffee jar full of cold water with a heaped capful poured in and left to dissolve. It didn't remove the glue, I had to do that with a blade. It may have removed what little adhesion it had left and then my rinsing and scrubbing did the dismantling.

Steve, here's the Q2 - pretty much ready for action and going back in the box once the wheels are cleaned.

One thing this last few weeks has been is very good for my half-started projects drawer. You know the kind of thing, the half built oddments you pick up at shows or from friends. This one has been in there for a number of years, so long I can't even remember how I came by it. Anyway, it only took an hour and a half or so yesterday and it's rolling into the paintshop.

I'm not sure if it's D & S or 51L - perhaps Mr Scott will comment if he passes - but all it really needed was undergubbins, some missing brake shoes and levers and a roof. The other one which I seem to have acquired with it needed a lot more work and so stays in the drawer.

I have fitted in some odd jobs as well this week - wagons weathered for Ormesby, a V3 repaired where the plastic axle muff had split - and this, which came back for some chips and scrapes to be repaired and some errant Modelmaster lining which had flaked off to be put back. I've done one side and as you see there is a small length left to reinstate here.

One other job which needed doing was to mark up all my goods stock. With a number of us taking stock it's easy to miss or overlook items but a simple mark removes any confusion - I know 4479 and I have a few of the same D & S GN vehicles, for example - and also allows anyone not familiar with the stock to know whose is whose, which helps when we come to pack it up.

Last edited by jwealleans on Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all
I like the A8, I do like big tanks.
I find myself recording everything which is probably due to my scientific education. My sister and G/F both find it amusing that I weigh everything when cooking, and note everything down.
I keep records of all my modelling and proposed modelling. Perhaps I should do more modelling and less recording, but it's such a habit.
Now to spend some time on the A6 and A8 that I'm building. Progress is slow at the moment, due to many diversions.
Earlswood nob
auldreekie
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by auldreekie »

I was especially heartened by those two C1's. Somewhere in the depths I have lurking both a Ks and a WSM one built it must be about 30 years ago, so not very well.

That and your minisatrations on the B16 give me hope of revitalising them at a future date. i'd better not leave it another 30 years....

auldreekie
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

G'Day all
Don't leave it too long Auld Reekie.
The basic Kays C1 can be converted into several versions.
I have an old C1 that probably needs a rebuild. I also have a couple of unbuilt Kays C1's that I'm planning to convert.
The booster fitted C1 (4419) would require a new cab and some piping, which shouldn't be too difficult.
I have ideas of using the boiler from a Nucast Q1 kit and producing a C2. Then making a Q3 from whats left over of the Q1. However, the C1 smokebox isn't correct for the Q3 and it would need a new cab and new tender, so only the Q1 footplate would be used.
Earlswood nob

PS the Raven A2 with the large tender looks good.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I'm glad you went for yellow spots under your stock. I've gone for green markings, actual letters GK where possible but a splodge when the access is too poor for lettering.

How's the re-roofing job on that clerestory coming along?
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

How's the re-roofing job on that clerestory coming along?
It isn't ATM - too many 'must do's' for February to get out of the way first. It's not far from the bench, though.
ArthurK
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by ArthurK »

mick b wrote:Yes I have some of Arthurs detail parts for the C7. Shame he doesnt do a complete kit !!
I have not got as far as the C7 as yet but there is a V/09 (the later C6) in the design stage. I chose the because it has many features in common with the B15 including the cylinders and the style of splashers. If it works on the B15 then it will work on the V/09. One further advantage in choosing this is that the bogie wheels are smaller and do not require tapered frames.

I have many NER fittings available including backheads with separate fittings as well as chimneys domes, safety valves etc. Many of these are in lost wax.

I also have the standard 6'6" bogie with the spring beam compensation and the later variant with coil springs.

Drop me a PM of your needs. I can probably supply most of them

ArthurK
BarryO
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by BarryO »

Very good work Jonathan.

My stock has a BR diesel blue spot (well it was a tin of unused paint).
scottiedog
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by scottiedog »

Jonathan,

re your post on the 4th, it is an ex D&S kit - I say ex because it now rests with ABS models which means you may not see it again - of the LNER 10t Perishables Goods Van. The kit I did was for the NER Dia F9 10t Perishables Goods Van which had cupboard doors - the LNER version has sliding doors. I think this still available through either Wizard Models or David Geen.

Don't forget to put the box and compartment numbers on the wagons!!!! :lol:
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Thanks for that, David. I had worked out it was the LNER version when I was trying to pin down a number for it. Wizard have the NE version, I've just checked on his website.