West End Workbench

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: West End Workbench

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

You are making my coach conversion work look so slow.......
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Nonsense. Building kits is much easier than what you do.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all
Thanks JW, I shall have to look at the MJT/Dart range, and decide whether to make the commode handles and guards handrails or buy the MJT version.
I have a compo in the recent purchase of Kirk kits, so might try antimacassars on that.
I, also, enjoy detailing the Kirk kits, and as this thread shows, with a little thought one can produce diagrams not modelled.

As I've found my spectacles that I lost over the weekend, I may get some modelling done today after I get my shopping done.

Earlswood nob
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

About time I updated, I think. I'm almost there but I am getting coach fatigue, so I think these need to be left aside for a few days so I can go over them with fresh eyes and see the little finishing touches. They're basically ready for the travelling public who will be added as soon as I locate the motivation.

This needs lining where I added a piece of beading in place of the ducket. This diagram had no ducket.

I still have one set of tables to fit to the RTO.

TK still needs the corridor handrails and 'Smoking' labels - orders should go off this week for the necessary materials.

The Klear has darkened the teaking nicely and I'm pleased with the shade it's taken on.

We will be needing things other than A4s to pull stock and so a few locos are having a quick tidy and makeover so as to be ready and appropriate.

J39 renumbered to 1273 of Lincoln and Q2 to 3416, one of the last two in traffic. Both these will have tyres and coupling rods darkened for the show.

C1 4412, built by the late Phil Giffen from the WSM kit. We can't really have too many C1s.

J39 2696 of Colwick and A2 2403. The A2 will just have a quick tidy - there isn't time for the full repaint and line she really needs. She will also run with the Gresley tender which she did tow for the last 18 months or so.

B16 will become 925. The paint of this one is too far gone and a strip and repaint is imminent.

O4 now 5001, renumbered from 63601. There's some more detail to take off this and I recall Mick giving a handy list of changes required for LNER condition on his thread. We can't have enough O4s either and I will be taking 3. There is also a J3 which is currently in paint stripper and another C1 which will come along if I get the new motor/gearbox fitted in time.
Last edited by jwealleans on Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Now, That's what I call an update............everything good :D

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I'm going to enjoy Barrow Hill........
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Atlantic 3279 wrote:I'm going to enjoy Barrow Hill........
I was just thinking the same thing!
Tom Foster
Modelling the North Eastern Area of the LNER - 1935-1939
IAK
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by IAK »

Impressive output sir. 8)
Been busy then??? :shock:
Small additional increments are transformative.

http://padgateworks.wordpress.com/
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Very impressive, I like your D10C.

Happy New year
Phil Brighton
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Phil Brighton »

Can I ask if all the coaches are Ian Kirk kits? If so the windows on the Restaurant coaches (the little ones in fours at the top) look better than they do normally. Have you modified them?
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Phil, the catering pair (RF and RTO) are MJT etched kits. The rest are Ian Kirks which I had awaiting renovation, mainly picked up at shows or from friends.

Dave - you remind me that I did finally make the veg tank and it will be fitted today. I'll do an update later.
LNER4479
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by LNER4479 »

2750 wrote:
Atlantic 3279 wrote:I'm going to enjoy Barrow Hill........
I was just thinking the same thing!
Well that makes three of us!

Looking better and better Jonathan. Busy this end too, painting Gresley coach wheel centres amongst other things (makes a change from installing yet more point motors!).
(recreating pre-war Grantham in model form http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9076.
Forthcoming exhibition appearances: Newcastle (Nov 2023); York (Easter 2024); Bristol (May 2024)
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Bit of an unwelcome complication this morning. I had a feeling the B16 had largely been assembled with glue and so I kept it well away from the Nitromors and soaked it in Caustic Soda instead. The paint was very resistant (all the locos I bought from the chap have been like this) but some of the glue was clearly past its best as well and a soft toothbrush was too much for it. Not sure if it was Araldite or Evostick or something else of that kind but there was plenty of it.

Nothing broken, though and after a good clean round the soldering iron was employed to return things to the desired state of assembly.

It has now been in the paint shop and acquired that attractive yellow primer from Halfords. I don't know if it's me, the kit or the way it's been built but it looks much too tall - when it gets a proper rebuild I'll have to do some measuring.

I mentioned back upthread that we can't have too many C1s - well this one has been awaiting a remotor for a long time and the motivation of a deadline has brought it to pass. I relied heavily on de Selby's thread on RMWeb for the setup to use and I'm pleased to say she runs nicely even before running in and without a flywheel fitted.

This loco has been on the thread before - one of a pair which were almost the first things I ever bought on Ebay. I collected them in a car park in Bishops Stortford one lunchtime. Turned out they were EM, with K's wheels and motors. The other is still in as bought condition but the motor in this one blew up under test so it's been regauged and now remotored again after the open frame motor I initially fitted gave up. It's entirely the wrong green but the paint job is so well done and has so much character that I can't bring myself to strip it off. I'd love to know who the builder was.

I also made up a load for this and it will go into the next weathering batch.

Last edited by jwealleans on Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Re the B16 they are a strange looking Loco, the Cab looks enormous. As to your B16's current condition I have a C7 just as bad . Awful castings etc I keep looking at it one the bench at the moment and find something else to do !!
Re the C1 how has the chassis been built ? mine has been a pig since day one with regard to running derails at the sniff of a curve !!
Thanks for the link to De Selby Atlantic build (wonder where he has gone since ?) a simpler method re the front bogie would be good to know.
Danby Wiske
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Danby Wiske »

jwealleans wrote: It's entirely the wrong green but the paint job is so well done and has so much character that I can't bring myself to strip it off.
Might a spot of judicious weathering disguise the colour?