Atlantic's works: Portable layout - Ground Signals Again

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

S.A.C. Martin

Re: Loco/vans/brakes workbench - another cunning RTR conversion?

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Atlantic 3279 wrote:Now I see why you want to be rid of that joint :!: :shock:

I've not paid much attention to the Bachmann "plain" double chimney before.
Both the stovepipe and the rimmed chimneys look very odd on the Bachmann A1s. It has been gnawing at me for years! Am about halfway through my fleet with the conversions, the relief when the paint dries and it looks so much better is soothing! :)
davidwest
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by davidwest »

Simon - only now you mention it have I noticed on the later lipped chimney - It's better than the early one - but still not quite right...
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

davidwest wrote:Simon - only now you mention it have I noticed on the later lipped chimney - It's better than the early one - but still not quite right...
See what you think now - chimney on the left is Graeme's cast one (not stuck down properly here) and on the right the original.

I personally can't stand the gap. Particularly if - as on a few of mine - it is not quite fitted correctly into the moulded lower half. Have done five out of nine A1s so far, working on number six as we speak...!
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Yippee! I've actually managed to start my second A2/3, the "timed conversion". Not a lot to show so far, as besides the cleaned up resin castings all I have done is prepare the parts on the Comet valve gear etch, assemble those that make up the motion bracket, and suspend the expansion links / radius rods / reversing levers from that - but it's start. A small but important psychological victory.
You can tell that my fuss with the painting of exterior woodwork on the house is now more or less finished, can't you?
Last edited by Atlantic 3279 on Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

Piccies! Piccies! Piccies! Piccies! Piccies! Piccies! Piccies!
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Loco/vans/brakes workbench - another cunning RTR convers

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Gimme chance BB!

Actually, I didn't want to repeat old coverage, but as I've made the bracket up first, with superb accesss as it was all done entirely off the chassis thanks to now knowing the previously successful arrangements and dimensions, a picture or two of the result may be justified. I've yet to add the insulating plastic under-layer to the stretcher, and split that into R and L halves. Also I still have to turn-in and solder the bottom ends of the outer brackets, which I may not do until I have some slidebars to support as these have to join the bracket in much the same position. But it's all together, straight, square, and the expansion links rock back and forth without fouling any parts of the bracket and without slopping from side to side, so I shouldn't have any trouble keeping the eccentric rods running true, rather than drifting inwards and fouling the con-rods or return cranks (as initially happened with my first A2/3 build).
STA77089 motion bracket.JPG
STA77090 mb 2 upside dn.JPG
Not the best pictures I've ever taken........

16/2/12 As I am now obliged to either "pay up" for a "premium account", or selectively reduce my pictures hosted on imageshack, or just let them wipe off all of the older ones at the end of this month, I have now deleted all of the pictures ahowing the assembly of the second A2/3 from my resin parts. I can however supply all of the necessary pictures with captions/text as an e-mail attachment should anybody want to see them again.
Last edited by Atlantic 3279 on Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

That looks rather exquisite Graeme!
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

Origami in nickel silver...
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

No further piccies yet, but the loco (originally Bachelors Button) is now as fully dismantled as it needs to be, save for removal of the smokebox door, i.e cab and boiler separated, off running plate, which is off the chassis; cylinders and motion off; front bogie and carrier chopped from keeper plate; sandboxes and other projections cleared off the front of the chassis; slot for motion bracket stretcher deepend; running plate cut in two; raised bosses at rear end narrowed ready to take narrower cab and exposed rear corners of firebox.
It's amazing to see how quickly the work can progress when problem-solving on the prototype loco has already been done, and thus you know where you are going at every stage. Several jobs that have no immediate relationship can all be dealt with whilst the correct tools are at hand, and the workbench remains remarakably free of accumulated tools, parts and general mess!
Last edited by Atlantic 3279 on Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

Mrs BB says: Take note of this, BB and learn.

My workbench looks, as usual, like London's East End after the Luftwaffe visited in 1940...
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

By (apparently) popular demand, some progress pictures, but owing to pressure of time, notes/captions (if needed?) will have to wait:
STA77090 bb orig cond'n.jpg
STA77095 dismantled.jpg
STA77096 bogie cut detail.jpg
STA77097 chassis front prep.jpg
STA77100 chas rear prep.jpg
STA77101 running plate cut.jpg
STA77102 prep'd rear rp on chassis.jpg
And finally, with old valve gear dismantled, new stretchers for motion bracket and cylinders built and fitted, plus a dry-run to check fit with some of the major resin parts:
STA77104 dry run with cyls and motion bracket.jpg
I'm even remembering to keep a careful tally of time spent on this one......

mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Coming together nicely.
I am pleased to say that I now have a Apple Green Tudor Ministrel on its way for a bash at a A2/2 using your resin parts .
Comet V2 Valve Gear on order and a Hornby Streamlined Non Corridor Tender ready for conversion too.

Should keep me busy for a while :D Get ready for a few questions :!: :!:
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Looking excellent there Graeme - I take it it'll have the rimmed chimney with banjo dome?
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Glad to hear that you are almost ready to make a start Mick. You'll be asking questions at just the right time, as I may actually know the answers based on the work I'm doing at present.

Correct re: dome and chimney Simon. I plan to keep this one as straightforward as possible, keeping life easy for me and (I hope) illustrating for others the minimum of work necessary to effect a good conversion.

Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

Looking good, Atlantic. Very good.