Atlantic's works: Portable layout - Ground Signals Again

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Loco/vans/brakes workbench - another cunning RTR conversion?

Post by mick b »

The only 40 ton Coal Wagons I know off are the NER design of Hoppers but with plate bogies
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I'm pretty sure the GC had some 40 ton loco coal wagons.
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

The LNER exhibited a 40 ton bogie hopper at the British Empire Exhibition in 1925. According to LNER reflections, 30 were built by the Leeds Forge Co in 1923 and used in the Ashington area. 15 of those behind Graeme's beastie. Yes!
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

A Gresley machine then, based on the LNER reference above and Graeme's previous predilections with un-built Gresley designs...?

Is there such a thing as a Gresley 2-10-2?! I could almost see a stretched P1 with an 8 wheel bogie tender :lol:
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

The P1 scheme was, I believe, originally drafted out as a 2-10-2 with "mineral standard" 4' 8" coupled wheels, rather than the eventually adopted 5' 2" wheels of the 2-8-2s, but that's not what I'm doing in this case. Given also that, as Bill Bedford may concur, with approximately the usual 1 in 8 inclination of the middle cylinder it appears to be impossible to accommodate Gresley's normal 3 cylinder system if the leading two coupled axles are less than 6' 6" apart, I'm not sure that ten-coupled was ever a serious possibility for a Gresley loco. The middle cylinder could of course have been yet more steeply inclined so that its con-rod would miss the leading axle, but that would have increased the syncopation of the power pulses and valve events, plus causing greater limitation of space for a boiler. I don't think Gresley or the team at Doncaster would have considered the idea that NBL implemented later on the B17s, with divided drive and the middle cylinder well-forward of the outside pair. Would it have been sensible to apply some of the piston thrusts to an outermost axle of a ten coupled arrangement anyway?

The scheme I actually have in mind featured a completely novel arrangement of four cylinders (for simple-expansion) and was being devised on the eve of the Great War, the onset of which possibly helped to ensure that any slim chance of its realisation that had ever existed was then thoroughly extinguished.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Blink Bonny wrote:Ay up!

The LNER exhibited a 40 ton bogie hopper at the British Empire Exhibition in 1925. According to LNER reflections, 30 were built by the Leeds Forge Co in 1923 and used in the Ashington area. 15 of those behind Graeme's beastie. Yes!

Just compared pictures with the NER Tatlow Wagon Volume and he states a 100 in total 50 by Leeds Forge and 50 by Darlington Wagon Co in 1903 and were built in total Ashington Colliery to the Blyth Staithes.The LNER version appears to be a development of the NER type.

Surprised that there has never been a kit ?? for them as they are impressive monsters :shock:

Are these the ones ?? as Graeme now mentions pre WW1 ??

No idea re Loco :D
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

A stretched Q6 with more wheels and leading and trailing bogies. Quick stop sir Vincent spinning in his grave.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
majormagna
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by majormagna »

52D wrote:Quick stop sir Vincent spinning in his grave.
No! Attach a generator to him!

Anyhow, I'm interested in seeing where this goes...
Moors Bound
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Majormagna wrote:
52D wrote:Quick stop sir Vincent spinning in his grave.
No! Attach a generator to him!

Anyhow, I'm interested in seeing where this goes...
This explains that curious whirring noise in the distance...
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I won't leave you all guessing for much longer. That would be cruel.

It turns out that a painted picture of the planned loco appears on the internet. That's something that I did not know until this evening. A bit of googling ought to find it, and it should be recognisable as something that can be made without destroying most of the existing features of my Bachmann USRA 2-10-2 "donor" loco.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 60800 »

The closest thing I've come across is this, it's obviosly a real loco, but I can't seem to find it anywhere else. What is it?
Attachments
pic1.jpg
pic1.jpg (13.78 KiB) Viewed 3859 times
36C - Based out of 50H and 36F
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

blackout60800 wrote:The closest thing I've come across is this, it's obviosly a real loco, but I can't seem to find it anywhere else. What is it?
Gresley P1. Mineral locos - powerful beasts. Look it up in the encyclopedia section of this forum, click here.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 60800 »

Of course! why didn't I think of that, 2-8-2 mikado :? Strangely, to me the P1 looks like it has a heavier loading gauge than the P2, don't know why though.
36C - Based out of 50H and 36F
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

a painted picture of the planned loco appears on the internet
So it does. I trust a suitable train will also be forthcoming?
Bill Bedford
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Bill Bedford »

Atlantic 3279 wrote:I'm enjoying these misunderstandings :lol: :!:

I may have to build myself some 40 ton coal wagons on diamond frame bogies to go with the loco, if and when the plan comes to fruition.
Weren't these only ever use as loco coal wagons?