NER Clerestory carriage kits

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Re: NER Clerestory carriage kits

Post by Graeme Leary »

Thanks Daddyman, I do have details of the roof arrangement on diagram 5, along with a few historic photos to check against. However your offer is gratefully accepted.

My era of modelling is loosely during the 1920s/30s with a few variations due to some oddity I've wanted to show, even if slightly outside this time frame but generally ex NER to LNER.

Graeme Leary
Daddyman
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Daddyman »

So, overall roof width should be 35mm and length = 210mm.

All vents and lamp tops should be 8mm in from the long edge. Note that this is not the case on (narrower) D.18 brakes. Guess how I found that out....

On the side with the toilet at the LH end, the roof fittings should be positioned as follows (measuring from toilet end) (V= vent; T = lamp top):
22.75 (V), 33.41 (V), 48.32 (V), 57.85 (T), 62.36 (V), 80.73 (T), 118.13 (V), then all vents are in standard position (i.e. central over RH window of each compartment).

On the side with the toilet at the RH end, the roof fittings should be positioned as follows (measuring from toilet end):
89.16 (V), 72.85 (V), 62.20 (T), 58.23 (V), 41.57 (T), 7.6 (V).
The other four vents are in the standard position central over the RH window of each compartment.

The "pips" on the clerestory roof are central over each compartment door.
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Thanks Daddyman (and apologies for tardy reply).

Will add your dimensions to the drawing I have to get things correct.

Graeme,
NZ
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

PS: And no idea where you got the info on the lamp tops and vents - illumination gratefully accepted.

G
Daddyman
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Daddyman »

Graeme Leary wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 5:24 am PS: And no idea where you got the info on the lamp tops and vents - illumination gratefully accepted.

G
Long and careful study of photos. There are also a couple of drawings of them - one by Ives and one by Sadler. They show NER condition on one side (albeit with the steps at different ends), and photo KT02270, a side-on works shot in the NERA archive, shows the other side (toilet to the left). Then it's just a question of working out what the LNER kept. This photo in Ernie Brack's Flickr album at Brampton appears to show a D5 from the same side as KT022070 but in LNER days: https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswis ... 890893261/

Transport Library image LSDC1150 shows a late-life D74 from which toilet roof details for a D.5 can be extrapolated.

Note that the D&S kit is best used to represent a low-numbered D.5 as some changes to the clerestory and to the toilet window happened on later builds. I numbered mine 22643.