NER 12wheel Restaurant car

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Hucknall Central
LNER N2 0-6-2T

NER 12wheel Restaurant car

Post by Hucknall Central »

I am at last getting near to completing the D&S kit for the Bow-Framed vehicle to make up my Newcastle-Barry "port to port train, which used GC metals in its route. Would this ex NER vehicle be painted and lined, to complement the Gresley coaches that made up this prestigious train in pre-war years? The kit instructions state "teak" finish for LNER service, but I'm not sure of the lining. I hope that one of you experts can help.

Paul G
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: NER 12wheel Restaurant car

Post by jwealleans »

Yes, fully lined. The only little 'gotcha' with these vehicles is that beading within a word is not lined, so where the 'Restaurant Car' crosses over a beaded panel joint, that beading is not lined as in the image below.

If there are corridor handrails in the vehicle (I can't recall the internal layout), they'd be chrome instead of brass.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Never seen a photo of this ex NER Coach. If you use the Fox Transfers version not HMRS as in the photo, the Fox is about 2/3rds the size of the HMRS .

My ex GNR one with Fox Decals, this also run on the NER area in LNER period.
IMG_6064.jpeg
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

The HMRS transfers are the wrong height (7'') as Harris got this wrong in his description, it's 7'' over the shading.
After a lot of email traffic from myself and the Involvement of Mike Trice, Fox have produced the correct 5'' high letters
so use these. The Fox transfers due to Mike are correct in the colours of the shading and the amount of white.
billbedford
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by billbedford »

Hucknall Central wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 5:46 pm I am at last getting near to completing the D&S kit for the Bow-Framed vehicle to make up my Newcastle-Barry "port to port train, which used GC metals in its route. Would this ex NER vehicle be painted and lined, to complement the Gresley coaches that made up this prestigious train in pre-war years? The kit instructions state "teak" finish for LNER service, but I'm not sure of the lining. I hope that one of you experts can help.

Paul G
Sorry to be a wet blanket and all that, but the Newcastle-South Wales services were run with GCR and GWR stock on alternate days.
Bill Bedford
Mousa Models
http://www.mousa-models.co.uk
Hucknall Central
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Thank you all for the responses to my enquiry, and for the gen on the transfer size. I have looked at the Fox list and will place the order. With respect to Mr B, I have photographic evidence of the train being composed of Gresleys and the NER vehicle, but, alas no close-up of the 12 wheeler.
Paul G.
billbedford
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by billbedford »

That would be after 1932 when the original GC stock had been replaced by standard stock. By that time, the twelve-wheelers were on secondary duties so this one would likely be a substitute for the regular restaurant car. On the other hand, if as is likely, the photo was taken on a summer Saturday then the train is more likely to be a holiday special.
Bill Bedford
Mousa Models
http://www.mousa-models.co.uk
Hucknall Central
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Good afternoon from sunny Saddleworth,
Further to my enquiries in pursuance of constructing a Barry-Newcastle train (circa 1938), containing the above vehicle, please could anyone point me in the direction of a dimensional drawing of a Dia 29 Brake First, which was marshalled next to the 12 wheeler. From what I can discover, this diagramme was built in small numbers. Thanks in advance,
Paul G.
Seagull
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'
Location: Between a cheap railway station and a ploughed field

Post by Seagull »

As you probably know Isinglass does not list a drawing for the Diagram 29.

Lner Standard Gresley Carriages - Harris, page 48 going from my notes I think has a drawing, I don't have it with me.

Isinglass do list drawing 604 for the similar Dia. 149 - 4 compartment brake 1st. I have this drawing and there is no mention of the earlier diagram.

They do drawing 159 which is for the Dia. 30, 136 & 300 - 3 compartment brake 1st but I don't have this but I guess is very similar.
Also I note there is drawing 140 for GN diagram 98 which is a 5 compartment corrdor brake 1st. Again I don't have this but it could be the dimensions are the same or at least similar to the Dia. 29.

Hope this is of some help.

Alan
Playing trains, but trying to get serious
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

I presume ex NER ?

N.E.R.A may have something
Hucknall Central
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Sorry, Mick, I should have stated "Gresley" design.
Thanks Alan, Harris p48 is a photograph of a similar vehicle, but your tip re Isinglass is most helpful.
Once again this website comes up trumps!
Paul G.
JonBates
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by JonBates »

Hi Paul

When I constructed a D29 brake first ( for the Northern Belle in my case) I was not able to find any plans. In the end I used the diagram book to give me a panel layout of the D29. I then used copies of diagrams of various other carriages to create a kit bash plan……by cutting out various panels until I figured out the required layout for each side.

I ended up using a Corridor first married up to a brake third with a couple of panels from a BCK. I think all were from MJT.

I’ll see if I kept the “plans” this evening and post on here if I do find them

Jon
Hucknall Central
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Thanks Jon, the kit-bash idea came into my mind, but as I've opted for dia 149, I am waiting for the Isinglass drawing of same, and see what develops
from there.
Paul G.