Thorneycroft image in KX Goods?

This forum is for the discussion of the infrastructure of the LNER and its constituent companies. Topics include signalling, signal boxes, track layout, bridges, stations, etc.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Tim Watson
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Thorneycroft image in KX Goods?

Post by Tim Watson »

In a note annotated with this image, it has been described as being taken at KX Goods. Does anyone think otherwise? I’m not convinced.

Tim
Slanjonok
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Re: Thorneycroft image in KX Goods?

Post by Slanjonok »

Hi Tim,
Thanks for sharing this interesting picture.
Acc. to Essery „LMS Wagons, vol. 2”, page 105 the container is a B-type built 1928 at Derby, no note about KX there.
Where did you find this picture? Any more about this experiment?
Sascha
carlislecitadel2
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by carlislecitadel2 »

That is a great picture. Are there any more from that demonstration? The Diag.337 DX container beside it was built in 1927 and B106 to D51 was built in 1928. Given they both look a bit dirty and B106 apears to have the remains of a traders label at the bottom left of the side, I would guess this is taken in at least 1930. If it is taken at Kings Cross, surprisingly few LNER wagons are in the picture. That said, if I remember correctly, roughly 50% of all wagons were LMS, 30% LNER, 15% GWR and 5% SR. Again, it demonstrates that basic goods containers were common user and could be seen on any company's tracks. Unforunately it is hard to see what wagon it is being loaded on to but it looks like a dropside, possibly one of the ex MR ones converted for container traffic, but its hard to know given how little we can see.
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

Interesting also to see that in the background is what appears to be a GW horsebox, and also a van marked NB alongside it.
There are some LNER wagons to the right of the container, The Thorneycroft lorry seems to have a device similar to that used
now on skip lorries.

I wonder whether it might be at St Pancras rather than KX.

Paul
Tim Watson
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Tim Watson »

There will be an article about these appearing in Archive, June issue by Roy Edwards & Keith Harcourt. (Archive: The Quarterly Journal for British and Industrial Transport History, Lightmoor Press.)

Tim