LNER loco and rolling stock Exhibitions

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

LNER loco and rolling stock Exhibitions

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

The LNER was famous for it's exhibitions, I know of a couple, Ilford, Romford and Southend, and I believe, Ally Pally, Edgware, there would have been many more, would there be a list of what was on show and where !!

Thanks, manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: LNER loco and rolling stock Exhibitions

Post by 52D »

I don't know of a list manna but it would make an interesting subject
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
greenglade
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by greenglade »

Hi Manna

Afraid I don't know of a list either but can say that 4472 was at Ally Pally in 1924 and again in 1925.. I also believe that there was a Sentinel Railcar at Ally Pally in 1924 too.

Regards

Pete
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

Not sure if this one qualifies as LNER manna (it might have been early BR), but I'm sure I've read that something was staged in the coal yard near "Noel Park (Wood Green)" [Seven Sisters -Palace Gates branch]; Can't recall when though.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Hmm, no list, would they have been in the LNER newspaper !!next question, where can I get those :roll:

Greenglade, interesting 1924 & 1925, same place, 2 years in a row, and there was another in the 30's as one of our members printed a pic of an A4, at Ally Pally. I wonder if the railcar was one of the GN ones, as the Sentinels, were a bit later.

Stevie G, I remember the one at Noel Park..I went to it, think it was 1958, Mallard, a J52 and a C12 was there to, also a 9F, class 26, class 40 and a brand new Cravens unit.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I've seen a photo - I'm sure it was on here - of such an exhibition at Durham, including 10000. I'll have a more thorough search later and see if I can find it.

I have a photo from the HMRS collection of one at Cambridge as well, including 2392 and a German ferry van.
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

manna wrote: " .... Stevie G, I remember the one at Noel Park..I went to it, think it was 1958, Mallard, a J52 and a C12 was there to, also a 9F, class 26, class 40 and a brand new Cravens unit. "
Oh, as recent as that! Still too early for me though. Whatever I read had a photo or two I think, and (I think this was the occasion) including one of a railway crane hoisting an open wagon skywards, with visitors standing inside - so that they could take some 'aerial' photos!
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

There are several pictures of LNER Exhibitions in published books. The one that comes to mind immediately is 'LNER Locomotives in Colour 1936 - 1948' by Ron White and Norman Johnston, (ISBN 1 898392 27 7) which is a very useful source for lots of things, and not just locos. It has pictures of Exhibitions at Romford in June 1936, and New Barnet in 1937. The caption for the latter mentions the rides in wagon bodies. I'm sure that somewhere there's a picture of that in 'full flight' but I can't locate it at the moment.
greenglade
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by greenglade »

manna wrote:G'Day Gents

Hmm, no list, would they have been in the LNER newspaper !!next question, where can I get those :roll:

Greenglade, interesting 1924 & 1925, same place, 2 years in a row, and there was another in the 30's as one of our members printed a pic of an A4, at Ally Pally. I wonder if the railcar was one of the GN ones, as the Sentinels, were a bit later.

Stevie G, I remember the one at Noel Park..I went to it, think it was 1958, Mallard, a J52 and a C12 was there to, also a 9F, class 26, class 40 and a brand new Cravens unit.

manna
Sorry manna... my mistake I meant to say Wembley.. it was the British Empire exhibition which at the time was the biggest the world had ever seen...a special railway loop line and station were built, to connect the site to London Marylebone station. loco's from the big four were present...LNER had 4472 Flying Scotsman, GWR had 4079 Pendennis Castle, Southern had No.866 N class and on behalf of LMS was LNWR Prince of Wales class. The exhibition was from April till November and returned for the following year,

here's 4472 in 1924

and here she is again the following year

Note she had a special livery.. the LNER crest on the cab and lots of bling, polished buffers, splashers,wheel rims and motion, etc...very shiny....:)

Pete

edit.. sorry for some reason I can't get the last image orientated properly...my apologises
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

There was one at Darlington in the 20s. I think.
Seen a photo of some senior officials looking over the latest in Snowplough design.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Film of one at Sheffield showing the Garrat in action.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

LNER exhibitions - just a thought, but if you look at info on the Hush-Hush in the RCTS volume and one of the BIG! LNER books, they gave dates and locations for that locomotive being on exhibition. I seem to recall that similar information was available for 4472 and 2395/9999. It would appear that the trio seemed to be at the same exhibitions as part of the LNER's publicity drive.
Brian

Anything weird or unusual will catch my interest, be it an express or locomotive

I'm also drawn to the commemorative, let's hope Bachmann will produce 6165 Valour.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

StevieG wrote:
manna wrote: " .... Stevie G, I remember the one at Noel Park..I went to it, think it was 1958, Mallard, a J52 and a C12 was there to, also a 9F, class 26, class 40 and a brand new Cravens unit. "
Oh, as recent as that! Still too early for me though. Whatever I read had a photo or two I think, and (I think this was the occasion) including one of a railway crane hoisting an open wagon skywards, with visitors standing inside - so that they could take some 'aerial' photos!
It was organised in connection with the Borough of Wood Green Charter Celebrations, held in Noel Park Goods Depot between September 12th and 14th, 1958, and there were 41 exhibits.

I was there, rode in the open container hoisted by the Coles Crane, and queued up to shuffle through 'Mallard's' corridor tender to the cab. Still have the programme, price 6d.

There is no known complete list of exhibitions, and not all by any means were mentioned in the LNER Magazine.
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

wonder how many of you notice that the tender on the two Flying Scotsman photos is different. For various reasons, at the second visit, Scotsman had a 6 wheeled tender for its visit to Wembley.

There was an exhibition at Ally Pally in 1938 when No 1 was in attendance. Probably late in the year, after its RCTS runs.

Paul
greenglade
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by greenglade »

john coffin wrote:wonder how many of you notice that the tender on the two Flying Scotsman photos is different. For various reasons, at the second visit, Scotsman had a 6 wheeled tender for its visit to Wembley.

Paul
I did...:) I do recall reading what the reason was... iirc it was down to space given at the exhibition.. I would need to check my books again to be certain but think that was the reason..

I stand to be corrected of course...

Pete

edit: just checked... 4472 was coupled to K3 tender No.5358... reason given was due to lack of space for the 1925 exhibition as I recalled.