B1 headlights

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

thesignalman
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

B1 headlights

Post by thesignalman »

G'day,

I've searched the forum, web site and the internet in general and not found an answer - maybe I have been using the wrong search terms.

The B1 class seem to have had electric headlights as well as conventional lamp brackets for display headcodes and tail lamps. I'm intrigued to know why both were provided, and in which circumstances either were used.

Best regards,

John
"BX there, boy!"
Signalling history: https://www.signalbox.org/
Signalling and other railway photographs: https://433shop.co.uk/
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: B1 headlights

Post by 65447 »

'Bright' idea, poorly executed, equipment failures, various methods of generating the electricity tried but none fully successfully, many members of the class only partially equipped or not equipped at all, use discontinued. End of.

Read all about it, which is not that much (just 3 paragraphs), in RCTS 'greenie' part 2B pp 133-4.
thesignalman

Post by thesignalman »

Thanks.

John
"BX there, boy!"
Signalling history: https://www.signalbox.org/
Signalling and other railway photographs: https://433shop.co.uk/
Trestrol

Post by Trestrol »

According to Simon Martin in his book about Thompson it was to reduce the amount of oil lamps. He was concerned how many and the cost of oil lamp provision. I wouldn't be surprised, if nationalisation hadn't come along, more of the classes he intended to keep were retro fitted.
Mickey
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Mickey »

I had previously noticed them on the front of the B1s before in books and watching DVDs but I never gave them anymore thought but interesting to know that only some of the B1s were fitted with them.
Original start date of 2010 on the LNER forum and previously posted 4500+ posts.
majormagna
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by majormagna »

Indeed I do recall seeing in some photographs, of Thompson A2/3s (and even some later LMS Black 5s) fitted with electric lamps, the provision and usage of disc headcodes, smaller than the discs used on the SR or even ex-GER lines.

Presumably there may have been a shortage of oil for the lamps in the wartime/postwar period?
Moors Bound
Mickey
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Mickey »

Same here majormagna I have also seen them on the classes of locos that you have mentioned in railway books and in railway DVDs in the past but also like the B1s mentioned before I never gave them anymore thought although they actually look good on Eastern & North Eastern Region locos during the 1950s and the first half of the 1960s.
Original start date of 2010 on the LNER forum and previously posted 4500+ posts.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

thesignalman wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 9:49 am ...electric headlights as well as conventional lamp brackets for display headcodes and tail lamps. I'm intrigued to know why both were provided...
The 'why both systems were provided' is absolute necessity; no lights on loco, it's a failure, cannot go into traffic.

The oil lamp was simple enough for the relevant railway workers to handle and maintain as required, and the plentiful supporting resources on the railway system made complete failure a rarity, as deployment was effectively 100%.

Electric lighting on steam locos was a 'bolt on' which either worked or didn't; and the essential supporting resources of know how and spares were limited. I shouldn't think even 10% of the loco fleet was so equipped at nationalisation.
52A
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by 52A »

I am fairly certain some of the V1/3s which worked around Glasgow had electric lights with some additions showing I think purple or blue, something to do with route indications.