How would the proposed designs be classified if they were built?

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

XhanLu
NER Y7 0-4-0T

How would the proposed designs be classified if they were built?

Post by XhanLu »

A lot of you people may be aware of the LNER 4-8-2 and 4-8-4 proposals. However, the only available letter in the system is "I", but there are two different wheel arrangements here, and "Z" for miscellaneous cannot be used, as the LNER had already resorted to using it for 0-4-2 locomotives at the time the 4-8-2 and 4-8-4 were proposed, so had they been built, how would you classify two different wheel arrangements with just one available letter?
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: How would the proposed designs be classified if they were built?

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

By the time of the first 4-8-2 proposals, the letter R (in the middle of a series of letters used for 8 coupled classes) was also free for re-use, following the withdrawal of all of the 0-8-2 tank engines. That does not of course prove that R would be re-used for the 4-8-2 wheel arrangement.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
XhanLu
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by XhanLu »

Well, they probably would want to use up all available letters before reusing old ones, so it would probably be I for 4-8-2 and R for 4-8-4.
billbedford
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by billbedford »

If they followed Doncaster practice with carriage diagrams they would have doubled an existing letter ie AA1, WW1 etc.
Bill Bedford
Mousa Models
http://www.mousa-models.co.uk