LNER fish vans used for meat traffic

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

carlislecitadel2
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

LNER fish vans used for meat traffic

Post by carlislecitadel2 »

Hi,
While researching LNER fish vans, I read Tatlow's summary of LNER designs and noted his statement that during the war some fish vans were used for meat traffic. By any chance would anyone on this forum have more detailed info on this. I am trying to model several LMS meat trains for traffic through Carlisle, and the wartime one could maybe include a LNER fish wagon in that case. I have seen a LMS video on youtube, presumably dated to the 1930s, with a meat train comprising mainly LMS but also some LNER and Southern meat vehicles. Although it does not state it, I assume the train was going to or from Scotland. If anyone has any photos of LNER fish vans in meat service I would like to see them. The key question is where they marked for meat/perishable use, or did they just keep their fish markings?

Thanks in advance.
Stephen
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: LNER fish vans used for meat traffic

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Just an opinion, but I would expect they were labelled for Meat, because that indicated that the necessary hanging rails to take the carcase meat hooks were fitted. And also a safe enough bet that they would have operated on the LMS, given the wartime pressure on the freight stock.
carlislecitadel2
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Re: LNER fish vans used for meat traffic

Post by carlislecitadel2 »

Thanks - thats a good point about needing to be fitted with meat hooks and probable relettering when that was done.