Chesterfield Market Place Station

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

will derbyshire
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Chesterfield Market Place Station

Post by will derbyshire »

Hello,
I was just wondering if anyone could help me find any photographs of Chesterfields Market Place station, So far i have found 3 pictures-

The Hotel, named after the Duke of Portland, at present

Photograph from inside Market Place Station looking north towards the town hall

Photograph from outside Market Place Station

These are farly good pictures but there not enough if i am going to model the Station. So anymore pictures that people have found or own can you please let me have a look at them.

Thanks,

Will

Ps If anyone can tell me what class the locomotive in the picture is i would be very greatful!
hq1hitchin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Re: Chesterfield Market Place Station

Post by hq1hitchin »

Can't help you any with the station, Will, as it's a few years since I passed the crooked spire but I'm pretty certain the engine is a J11 (Pom pom) - an old GC workhorse

http://www.lner.info/locos/J/j11.shtml

Good luck
A topper is proper if the train's a non-stopper!
will derbyshire
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Thanks hq1hitchin! Now i will be looking for a model or basic kit of the locomotive to atempt to build hehe.

Thanks again,

Will
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

I agree with HQ1 he beat me to it by about 5 seconds.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Malcolm
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Malcolm »

This is the only one I have of Chesterfield.

Malcolm
The world is seldom what we wish it to be, but wishes don't change it.
Boris
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Boris »

I remeber going to an exhibition at Market Place Stn. late 40s early50s.
The must be some record of that somewhere with pictures.
EX DARNALL 39B FIREMAN 1947-55
hq1hitchin

Post by hq1hitchin »

Boris wrote:I remeber going to an exhibition at Market Place Stn. late 40s early50s.
The must be some record of that somewhere with pictures.
That's intriguing, Boris - what was the exhibition, can you remember what was on display?
will derbyshire
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Thanks Malcolm, thats a great help!!!

Boris, what was the exibition on? sounds pretty interesting!

Thanks again all,

Keep up the awesome help!

Will
Boris

Post by Boris »

Mostly steam loco's I remember a red L.M.S but not what sort, might have been earlier than I said probably about 46-50.
Must have been cos' I went on my m / cycle .
It was held in the station itself so there could not have been much traffic in and out.
Also it was free.
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by 45609 »

Hi,

The following is extracted from an article about Chesterfield Market Place that appeared in the Great Central Railway Society Journal a while ago.

One brief exception to the exclusive use of Platforms 1 and 2 for passengers occurred in August 1948, when for four brief days the station once again hummed with visitors in numbers it probably hadn't seen for fifty years. The reason was the celebration of the centenary of the death of George Stephenson, the 'Father of Railways', who died and was buried in the town in 1848. Market Place was the obvious choice for the site of an exhibition, much of, which occupied
the two platforms nearest to the Goods Yard, the latter also being largely given over to the occasion.

The platform roads were used to display a number of coaches, including a couple of retired royal saloons and one of the beautiful `Beavertail' observation coaches from the Coronation set, at that time of course prior to its disfigurement by BR. A series of passenger `full brakes' contained smaller exhibits, and several steam locomotives also figured in the display, including B1 61085 and D10 62658 `Prince George', both presumably selected because they were fresh out of the paint shop rather than being of any relevance to Stephenson. There was also a strong LMS presence, which included two Midland relics and a year-old `Rebuilt Patriot', the latter sent along as an example of a modern express type, which didn't happen to carry a name. However plates lettered 'Stephenson' (without the George) were duly and ceremonially applied.

Cheers...Morgan
hq1hitchin

Post by hq1hitchin »

Thanks, Morgan - so now we know. Contrast that to the rubbish celebrations at Kings X to mark the 150th celebration of the opening of the station. Basically .... b~gger all. A missed opportunity.
Boris

Post by Boris »

61085 was at that date shedded at Neasden.

Wonder why they didn't bring a Lincoln loco' up over the L.D.& E.C. or did Lincoln not have any at that time?
Bill Bedford
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Bill Bedford »

Boris wrote:61085 was at that date shedded at Neasden.
Wonder why they didn't bring a Lincoln loco' up over the L.D.& E.C. or did Lincoln not have any at that time?
Only had one 31/12/1947
mogsapoulson
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by mogsapoulson »

Hi I am just finishing a model of Market Place Station in 1948 showing the George Stephenson Centenary Exhibition . I have an original Exhibition programme which I purchased on my visit to the site and at the moment am trying to find a kit or complete Beavertail coach Mogs
AndyRush
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by AndyRush »

Scenes From The Past : 43 by Ken Grainger, Foxline 2002 ISBN 1870119 83 5 has a plan and numerous photographs, if you have'nt already seen it