A2/2

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

pete2hogs
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

A2/2

Post by pete2hogs »

Has anyone ever produced an 00 model of the A2/2's? I'd like one. I actually think they are quite handsome, once you get over the shock.

I do have an old K's P2 that I could potentially butcher. It's very badly built, and needs pulling apart anyway - plus when new build 2007 is finished I'd be amazed if Hornby or Bachmann don't bring out a P2.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: A2/2

Post by mick b »

DJH and PDK
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Is it just me, or didn't Hornby bring out a P2 last year?
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

They did, but it's not a full fat job, and crucially without the wildly sexy Bugatti treatment.
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

Hornby brought out both a RailRoad version of 2001, and a super-detailed version. The second version was cancelled early on after deliveries were made to the UK to a few outlets as sales did not reach wanted targets for their sales team - this was cancelled alongside the super-detail version of 71000, again because wanted sales did not reach required levels. Both versions of 2001 and 71000 do come up on EBay, but understandably the full-fat versions can command seriously high prices.
Brian

Anything weird or unusual will catch my interest, be it an express or locomotive

I'm also drawn to the commemorative, let's hope Bachmann will produce 6165 Valour.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

Well, maybe, Hornby should bring out a Railroad version of the A2/2 !!!!!!!

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
pete2hogs
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by pete2hogs »

You are correct, gentlemen, there is indeed a Hornby P2. Well well.

However, if I'm going to cobble an A2/2 up, I'm not sure that's the right place to start - I was thinking more a Bachmann A2 body with A4 cab sides and a modified front end on the butchered K's chassis if I can't afford a kit. It'd be one of the New England ones in their last condition with later boiler and flattened cab front.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Mick Bennett and Graeme King have done a couple of really nice A2/2s from the Bachmann A2 and Graeme's resin parts plus A4 cabs. I've done one as well, albeit not to the same standard as the two modellers previously mentioned.

LNER4489
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by LNER4489 »

It looks extremely good to me Simon. Which model boiler is it, the Bachmann A2 ?
That is appropriate for some of the A2/2s isn't ? I have not understood those variations yet. Tom
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

I used the Bachmann A2 boiler but changed the washout plugs with some resin ones Graeme cast for me, and used one of his A3 type domes to change the look. If I were to do the build all over again I think I'd use different components including most likely an A3 boiler for the shape and new washout plugs to the right spec. I would certainly use a different running plate as the A2/2 and Peppercorn A2 near the firebox have different "s curve" setups.

My A2/2 is a compromise all over but it runs very well and is pretty much my favourite model to take out on the road, along with 60508 which was built in a similar way.
pete2hogs
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by pete2hogs »

looks pretty good to me - I'd be happy if I could achieve that standard - I'm not a fine-scale modeller.
millsd61
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by millsd61 »

Hi
I'm working on upgrading an old Hornby Flying Scotsman tender drive loco to become a replica of the current version of Flying Scotsman.

My new chassis is coming on based on a Comet frame set, a high level kits gear box and Horn Blocks and a Mashima 1428 motor.

What I need now is a double chimney and a banjo style steam dome. I have read that Graeme King produces these. Does anyone know if there is a list of available parts and prices... or any information on how I get in touch with Graeme for a product list.

thanks for any help.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

You could try his thread in the Classifieds section.