Hot off the printer

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Bill Bedford
LNER A3 4-6-2

Hot off the printer

Post by Bill Bedford »

I thought you all might like to see this which came in yesterday.
LNER Toad E-7-1200.jpg
This is just as it came in with only a quick blow over with primer, it still needs some work on the surface finish.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Hot off the printer

Post by Dave »

Tell us more Bill
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

With inner end formed in situ and "real" handrails (i.e. looks like round ones with spaces behind, if I'm right?) formed by the same process too, very cleverly illustrating the capabilities of the 3D printing process. How strong are they?

If my mate doesn't hurry up and build up our sets of resin Toad E parts we'll be well behind the times, won't we?
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

Bill Bedford wrote:I thought you all might like to see this which came in yesterday.
LNER Toad E-7-1200.jpg
This is just as it came in with only a quick blow over with primer, it still needs some work on the surface finish.
Wow, that looks really good.
John.

My spotting log website is at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/

And my spotters' b&w photo site is at http://spottinglogs.blog
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

That looks pretty damned good, Bill.

Any idea on likely prices as yet?
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Hi Bill,

Looking great! FUD really is a step up from the old materials isn't it! 8)

Was it you who was suggesting using an ultrasonic bath on a 3D printing forum? If so thanks as I've been using one to clean the wax off my prints and it works a treat! :D
Steve
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Atso wrote:Hi Bill,

Looking great! FUD really is a step up from the old materials isn't it! 8)

Was it you who was suggesting using an ultrasonic bath on a 3D printing forum? If so thanks as I've been using one to clean the wax off my prints and it works a treat! :D
Atso - can you translate for those of us who have not yet mastered the use of these damned computer thingies?

Or is it, like the "machine code" that I am told these things use, somthing I'm best just accepting and moving on, leaving the complicated stuff to an appropriate adult? :wink:
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
coachmann
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by coachmann »

An interesting glimpe of the future there Bill. I can see opportunites for combining this process with etched brass sides......West Coast Joint Stock one-piece coach ends and inset doors for example......and Midland clerestory roofs......? :)
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

[quote="Blink Bonny]Atso - can you translate for those of us who have not yet mastered the use of these damned computer thingies?

Or is it, like the "machine code" that I am told these things use, somthing I'm best just accepting and moving on, leaving the complicated stuff to an appropriate adult? :wink:[/quote]

Hi Blink Bonny! FUD is Frosted Ultra Detail which is the latest material on offer which has a much higher level of detail than previously available at a reasonable price!
Steve
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Exquisite, Bill. Like Graeme, my only reservation would be the resilience of the handrails. I'd be interested to know how strong they are.
Bill Bedford
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Bill Bedford »

Atlantic 3279 wrote:With inner end formed in situ and "real" handrails (i.e. looks like round ones with spaces behind, if I'm right?) formed by the same process too, very cleverly illustrating the capabilities of the 3D printing process. How strong are they?
The handrail are interesting. They are soft and springy, so if you pick the body up holding over the handrails they bend all the way to the body sides and then spring back when you let go.
If my mate doesn't hurry up and build up our sets of resin Toad E parts we'll be well behind the times, won't we?
I wouldn't really worry about that.
Bill Bedford
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Bill Bedford »

Blink Bonny wrote:Ay up!
That looks pretty damned good, Bill.
Any idea on likely prices as yet?
Too expensive for kits, which means I have some interesting decisions to make.
Bill Bedford
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Bill Bedford »

coachmann wrote:An interesting glimpe of the future there Bill. I can see opportunites for combining this process with etched brass sides......West Coast Joint Stock one-piece coach ends and inset doors for example......and Midland clerestory roofs......? :)
You mean stuff like these?
BCF0195 LNER D256 roof-1200.jpg
BCF0195 LNER D256 body-1200.jpg
BUF120a LNER 60' angle TPO underframe-1200.jpg
These are for a LNER TPO. I will be doing some more generic ones and putting them on sale soon.
Wolf of Badenoch
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Wolf of Badenoch »

Bill,

Any news on the NER Ironstone hoppers, are they still gonbg to be on sale this year. Any feedback gratefully received.
Bill Bedford
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Bill Bedford »

Wolf of Badenoch wrote:Bill,
Any news on the NER Ironstone hoppers, are they still gonbg to be on sale this year. Any feedback gratefully received.
I did the drawings earlier in the year, but managed to lose them in a computer accident, so have to redo them. The resin casting for another wagon took about 3month for delivery, so realistically we are looking at February/March next year before they could be ready.